Anyone store large amounts of data & back it up?

=MGN=RedEagle

Anyone store large amounts of data and back it up?

I love making videos but I am accumulating a lot of data. I would like to store and backup my data in mass. What is the best way to:

1. Store a large amount of data you access frequently
  2. Backup that data automatically
I was thinking the ideal backup solution for me would be some sort of harddrive bay with room for 4 6TB hard drives which I could swap in and out. I have no idea what such a solution is called. What do you call such systems?

Thanks to the kind help of @Anthony Parsons I am setup with 2 SSD drives for the actual video production.

Thank you! I just stumbled upon NAS. Are these devices something you just plugin and have work or do they require a lot of network know-how? I am less than tech savvy. If it's easy it seems something like NAS is right up my alley.

Qnap make nas's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...words=qnap&dpPl=1&dpID=5184XPz2o9L&ref=plSrch

With a 1gbps port (assuming your switch and pc can handle it) that's a 125MB per second transfer.

Unless you have a ssd you probably can't move much faster than that anyhow.

The question is how much do you have to spend and how fast are you expanding and how important is redundancy.

My biggest issue is copying the nas off site (1mbps upload.... I know right)

Ok so I have done a bit of research. There are a lot of good options and I have learned a lot. I need about 2x8TB redundant storage with the option to back up the whole system to an external drive for offsite storage.

Qnap make nas's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...words=qnap&dpPl=1&dpID=5184XPz2o9L&ref=plSrch

With a 1gbps port (assuming your switch and pc can handle it) that's a 125MB per second transfer.

Unless you have a ssd you probably can't move much faster than that anyhow.

The question is how much do you have to spend and how fast are you expanding and how important is redundancy.

My biggest issue is copying the nas off site (1mbps upload.... I know right)
Ok I researched this and it seems like if I directly connect to my router via a 1gbps port via a compatible router I am going to get a similar speed to USB while also being able to connect to my device over the network (from other PC via wifi). Is that right?

If this is correct it seems to me that NAS devices provide great features at a low price giving little advantage to the sort of product you plug in directly via USB 3.0.

Synology.com -- really the first and last place you should be for NAS. I do mean real performance.

Our choice would be a bit big for you it seems, being an 1815+, but to put it simply, with a 4Gbps port we stream 3xHD movies to different devices, copy gigs of data both read and write, have backups running from all running macs onto the system, have backups run off-site from the synology, open and close files, all simultaneously with SSD cache enabled on the system, without a single flaw in data flow at any stage. Oh, and ours is upgraded from 2Gb to 6Gb RAM.

You can upgrade them with larger disks, hot swap drives, extend the systems with further capacity units.

Top Bottom