Anyone set messages to more than 100k characters ?

I thought that limit only applies to new posts. Setting a lower limit does not truncate existing posts that exceed the new limit AFAIK.

Correct.

Once the content is saved, reducing the character limit won't affect existing posts - the limit is only checked at save (or edit) time.

Reactions: cwe
yes, it's an edit of a legacy posts that are over 50k characters which was my former limit, which is why i've had to up the limits, thanks

To see if a really big limit breaks anything, you could set it to a million, say, and then use the lorem ipsum text generator to create the text for you. You can then keep doubling that number until it chokes. Must try this myself someday. Imagine having to read through a wall of text a million characters long lol.

I recommend doing this on a test install on your local machine only, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
BTW, @Ozzy47 published a free mod that let's you set the max character lengths as a user group level permission:

I'm using this mod right now and it works as advertised.

You can use it to give admins (or members with paid upgrades) larger limits than regular members.

Top Bottom