Anyone making good Money with Adsense on Xenforo?

You need a subscription to:
  • Access proprietary data
  • Read articles with exclusive content
  • Join private groups
  • Have a member blog
The main drivers of subscriptions are the first two though.
May I ask what niche it is? to understand if my niche is even able to do such similar subscription.

May I ask what niche it is? to understand if my niche is even able to do such similar subscription.
College and University related. We have a proprietary user created acceptance database and statistics and exclusive interviews with admissions departments.

We have a proprietary user created acceptance database and statistics and exclusive interviews with admissions departments.
Both created using @Bob 's awesome add-ons btw.

Database & statistics created from a highly customized version of Showcase (custom fields etc) with additional custom development by @AddonsLab

Exclusive articles done with Bob's AMS addon categories.

Both created using @Bob 's awesome add-ons btw.
@Bob simply makes the MOST beneficial MAJOR add-ons for XF of probably any developer. The day that he decides to vacate he XF environment will be a MAJOR loss to XenForo, one that in many ways it will have an EXTREMELY hard time recovering from unless they decide t purchase the rights to those add-ons.

Bob is the best. His add-ons are literally what makes it possible for my site to be successful and helpful to so many people. He's awesome.

Anyone here successful making money with adsense on xenforo?
I used to make spare money back in the day with adsense but it was on wordpress.

How is adsense placement fitting right into your xenforo structure? as much has to do aswell with placement and blending into the xenforo content
Yes, though we have a sophisticated custom addon which allows specific ad targeting and we have a commission based ad ops person who works solely on generating revenue from programmatic ads.

Ad rates in 2023 have tanked through the ad networks. 2022 was good. I taking very good care of my direct advertisers, because the ad networks suck right now. Very little being made.
This.
Programmatic revenue is down a lot, but we can give direct sale advertisers exposure beyond banners with featured threads and sponsored competitions.

Tangent: How many of you running AdSense or other ads restrict the ads to just guests? I do and this is an incentive for visitors to register an account and log in (no more ads).
Not here because we need the revenue from members as well. The incentive for people to register is to post messages (including in our free classified ads) and enter our competitions.

I have to say wow! I didn't know that adsense is a downer. Back in 08-12 I used to make a few hundred a month with adsense on my old forum. What are the alternatives out there? Not that I have any plans of using anything like adsense on my forum but in the future if it ever gets busy maybe.

Purchasable membership or currency will almost always make more money than ads, with the exception of sponsored or direct sale ads relevant to your topic.

The only ads I would likely do now would be things like Amazon, and that is specific to communities where having links to products is valuable for the user, rather than a source purely to make money.

The only ads I would likely do now would be things like Amazon, and that is specific to communities where having links to products is valuable for the user, rather than a source purely to make money.
We do that on a couple of forums--not a big source of income but even that trickle is better than anything I'd ever gotten from AdSense. We also had VigLink (which is now Sovrn) but that has trailed away to almost nothing now as well. Ad blockers are blocking most of these things, especially since Sovrn seems to be stuffing more weirdness into what they are posting on our sites. I think Sovrn even disconnected us from eBay, since eBay kept whining that we didn't have a disclosure notice exactly the way they wanted it. Screw 'em--I'm trying to send sellers their way, not provide unpaid advertising to them. Their loss, not ours.

One forum that some of us used to frequent in one of our niches has become so overbearing with ads that it is driving long-time members away. The company running the ads for the site owner literally plasters ads over the XF interface at times, and makes the forum impossible to read. It's better if a person logs in, but even there, the ad company is constantly adjusting how the ads display and issues are constant. I won't even visit that forum anymore, even though the ad blocker takes care of most of it. Too many ads will chase visitors away.

We do that on a couple of forums--not a big source of income but even that trickle is better than anything I'd ever gotten from AdSense. We also had VigLink (which is now Sovrn) but that has trailed away to almost nothing now as well. Ad blockers are blocking most of these things, especially since Sovrn seems to be stuffing more weirdness into what they are posting on our sites. I think Sovrn even disconnected us from eBay, since eBay kept whining that we didn't have a disclosure notice exactly the way they wanted it. Screw 'em--I'm trying to send sellers their way, not provide unpaid advertising to them. Their loss, not ours.

One forum that some of us used to frequent in one of our niches has become so overbearing with ads that it is driving long-time members away. The company running the ads for the site owner literally plasters ads over the XF interface at times, and makes the forum impossible to read. It's better if a person logs in, but even there, the ad company is constantly adjusting how the ads display and issues are constant. I won't even visit that forum anymore, even though the ad blocker takes care of most of it. Too many ads will chase visitors away.
Yeah, it's not worth it for most sites, unless you know you will get a lot of links posted. One site it's being used on has a lot of computer parts or accessory links posted, and a future project is based around cooking and will link to a lot of ingredients. I recipe website I know makes about 10x more from Amazon links than they do from the ads on their site, but they also specifically link to products that earn them good commissions.

I recipe website I know makes about 10x more from Amazon links than they do from the ads on their site, but they also specifically link to products that earn them good commissions.
I have a cooking site but it is more for family use as a recipe book. I've noticed how many cooking sites and blogs link all ingredients to online merchants, though. It has me thinking. 😁

I actually have an entire recipe site which I grabbed using wget--it went offline and has never come back, and there is no mention anywhere of the owner, manager, etc. for me to contact them. It's a shame as it was full of specific cuisine, and I'd host it for free if I could ever get the OK from whoever owned it prior, just to preserve the content.

Top Bottom