Anyone host their XenForo Site at Amazon AWS

robdog

I have been tossing the idea around of getting rid of a few of my servers and hosting all my forums over at amazon aws. Anyone have an experience with setting up XenForo or another type of forum on Amazon AWS?

Thanks.

I've messed around on AWS, but nothing long term. Amazon is pretty expensive when compared to something like Linode or even Servint.

If it's not a big site then a small Amazon instance would probably be fine, but I agree that Linode is probably a cheaper (and because of the price structure a more consistent cost) solution than Amazon. I also found Amazon's interface somewhat unintuitive to use. I can easily see inexperienced people getting lost trying to setup an instance whereas Linode makes it easy and walks you through the process (assuming you just want a basic setup. Linode can do really amazing stuff if you need something special or want to poke around a bit).

I do agree with how crappy the interface is for Amazon AWS. I have been checking out linode as well. I do love Amazon AWS for emailing, CDN and DNS management. Guess I will check out linode. :)

Linode is far over priced for a VPS. You could get a very high-powered VPS or low to mid range Dedicated Server for their prices. $79.95 for just 2GB of ram. :eek:

I go agree Amazon is very confusing. They do have a small free edition though for you to try it out (1 year free). But it is very confusing on what setup you'll need and how to configure their system.

Overall there are plenty of alternatives of easier to use, more affordable, and user friendly VPS out there.

I have been experimenting with AWS since its inception. Even with a pre-paid reserved instance you can get much better prices from a quality server farm. The only advantage I can see would be for a business that has wide swings in resource utilization. They are good for short term experimentation.

fos

Linode is not overpriced for what you get in the smaller allocations (less than 2 GB of RAM). But once you hit about that level, yeah, their linear price structure starts to kill them. Storm on Demand is much better if you're looking for a good VPS at those higher tiers.

Linode is not overpriced for what you get in the smaller allocations (less than 2 GB of RAM). But once you hit about that level, yeah, their linear price structure starts to kill them. Storm on Demand is much better if you're looking for a good VPS at those higher tiers.
Even more over priced. I could get myself a mid to high range server for $100+ per month.

We could argue that you get what you pay for, but you seem to think that good must always be expensive. :eek::confused: That is of course not true and it is possible to have something good at an affordable & reasonable price (not saying cheap, but reasonable)

Are you talking about this site: http://www.vmstormvps.com

Because that 4GB VPS looks pretty nice! Even with the add-on of priority ram/cpu/sla.

No, I'm talking about the LiquidWeb company Storm on Demand: http://www.stormondemand.com
Their advantage is the ability to create load balancers, migrate between different types of instances, and just general flexibility. They have SSD instances available as well.

I second StormOnDemand. We've been using them and the overall offering is rock solid. The support is exceptional.

Top Bottom