Anyone has any experience with Hivelocity

Sadik B

Ok, please no offers, no adverts as it's against the rules.

I am considering upgrading my dedicated server from a Intel 3.2 GHz 800FSB Dual Xeon P4 processor with 4 GB RAM to Sandy Bridge Quad Core with 8 GB RAM. Now I am on Softlayer and going for my desired hardware with Softlayer is burning a hole in my pocket. So I thought of looking around and Hivelocity seems to be the one with the good customer reviews and great rates.

But moving servers is a herculean task and the network and support of Softlayer is definitely the best in the industry. So I am confused whether to pay more and stay with Softlayer or move to HV. Does anyone here host dedicated servers with Hivelocity? What's your experience with them?

Thanks

Not used HV, but regardless you are right, moving server is no small feat, I guess you need to ask yourself:

Does your current hardware and software setup do what you need? Is an upgrade going to bring any more benefit to your site apart from a longer epenis?

How often do you contact support for any issues, are you adept at self troubleshooting?

How long have you been with softlayer? Show some loyalty, give them a proper well written and formatted email, they may be able to give you a hardware upgrade for a small cost / free. I have been with 1+1 for 8+ years and they recently upgraded my hardware free of charge.

Not used HV, but regardless you are right, moving server is no small feat, I guess you need to ask yourself:

Does your current hardware and software setup do what you need? Is an upgrade going to bring any more benefit to your site apart from a longer epenis?

How often do you contact support for any issues, are you adept at self troubleshooting?

How long have you been with softlayer? Show some loyalty, give them a proper well written and formatted email, they may be able to give you a hardware upgrade for a small cost / free. I have been with 1+1 for 8+ years and they recently upgraded my hardware free of charge.

Very good points. I was actually a Planet customer since 2009. Softlayer took over them last year. My hardware is actually now getting old and because the traffic of our sites has reached higher and higher levels, I need an upgrade. I actually very very rarely contact support as I am a seasoned LAMP admin, but my concern is when sometimes the server becomes inaccessible because of some hardware fault at the web host's side. It happens to the best of the best hosts, so the judging criterion is the response. With Planet and subsequently softlayer, if you raise a ticket, withing 30 mins someone has gone over the server and seen what's wrong if anything and provided a solution. That is one area which I need a host to be good at. If there's a problem with the hardware, it's obviously beyond my control and they need to resolve it within minutes and not hours.

That's why I want to know if someone has had experience dealing with such situations at Hiveolicity. I would have loved to stay with Softlayer and I had a healthy discussion with their support and sales teams. They lowered the price for me considerably but it's still a 100$ above the deal Hivelocity is offering.

Top Bottom