Anyone from Texas?

it but his mother (my best friend) thinks it's too hot there. IDK.
It's not so much the heat, but the humidity that kills most folks that move here.
ONLY?!?!??!
Well, when you consider it takes on average 14-16 hours to drive across Texas, 16 miles is just a short hop!
Kegs and cases.
Only cases I want are of bourbon! Preferably Russel's Reserve Single Barrel, but I wouldn't turn down a case of Bardstown Bourbon Company Discovery 2. 🥃
That wimpy beer stuff is for the birds. 🐦
Sounds and looks fantastic. I will have to check that area.
You really have to decide what kind of environment you want. With Texas being so large, you have a large selection of areas to live in, from coastal to basically cold ass Amarillo type weather. I live in East Texas (Palestine to be exact) and we don't have really cold winters normally (we got our first big snowfall this year in about 15 years). I can count on one hand the days it's been below 30° locally so far this year. The biggest issue we have is summer and high humidity - which is what most of the local transplants complain most about.
If I was looking to move into the area new (and being retired) I'd honestly be looking in the Hill Country, specifically around Fredricksburg. Beautiful country, fairly near some larger cities and ... it's the Hill Country!

Thank you @Tracy Perry . I'm looking for trees and wildlife if possible but plains sounds good too. IDK.
The hill country is just that. It's not flat like out in West Texas. There aren't any "mountains" but there's plenty of rolling hills there.
East Texas has a lot of pine woods and is moderately hilly, but nothing really big. Of course around the coast is flat (as you would expect).
Of all the areas, the Hill Country probably has the best of all things combined. You don't have the woods that you do in East Texas, but it's still nice.

@Tracy Perry
Thank you for this information. I'm looking forward to checking the area out. I was surprised to see how expensive real estate was in Amarillo.
If I may ask, what are you paying in utilities in summer and winter?

Right now where I live, we are completely frozen over. Had to call 911 yesterday for a medical emergency in my house and it took them forever to get here because of the ice so that was a major eye opener for us and now a move is more necessary because we cannot of that situation ever happen again.

@Tracy Perry
Thank you for this information. I'm looking forward to checking the area out. I was surprised to see how expensive real estate was in Amarillo.
If I may ask, what are you paying in utilities in summer and winter?

Right now where I live, we are completely frozen over. Had to call 911 yesterday for a medical emergency in my house and it took them forever to get here because of the ice so that was a major eye opener for us and now a move is more necessary because we cannot of that situation ever happen again.
We have our electric done on an average, and it's around $220 a month and the natural gas (we have both, water heater and central heat run on natural gas) run about $45 in the winter and around $25 in the summer. We normally keep the house at around 73° in the summer and in the winter around 75°. Our neighbors next door moved in from California and one of the things she commented about was that they loved only paying around $250 a month on electric as when they were in California (same size house) they were averaging $700 a month.
Ironically, we are having an ice "storm" right now, but the roadways are still clear. The overpasses may ice, but it typically takes several days of sub-freezing temps before the roads will freeze over.
You'll find that real estate is getting more expensive here in Texas now than it used to be as we are having a LOT of people move in from other areas due to the no state income taxes, the variety of the areas you can chose to live (type of environment), etc. Our neighbor is a real estate agent and she's done a TON of business just around our local community. Land that went for around $1000 an acre 10 years ago is going for upwards of $5000-6000 an acre for 10 acre and smaller plots. The larger plots (100 acre plus) are going for around $3000-4000 an acre now if I remember what she said. 10 years ago my brother bought 178 acres and only paid $785 an acre. He recently bought another 58 acres next door to his property and paid $1800 an acre for it (he was good friends with the owners and had done a lot of work on the land for them over the years).
The smaller cities are not as expensive as places like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc. But the prices in the smaller cities have even gone up. Houses in our locale (in the city limits) only stay on the market for around 3 weeks before they are sold.

From some stats I've seen, the average used home price in Texas is now around $218,000 for an existing home and $285,000 for a new home. Of course, that trends towards "big city" prices. In the more rural communities it is frequently cheaper than that. The median average for my city is around $97,000.
This is a good site to get some average costs from. This link is specific to Palestine but you can do inputs for other areas. It's pretty accurate from my understanding.

I just checked out Palestine and it looks like something I'm interested in. Your electric seems high. I'm running about $90 in winter, fall, and spring, and about $200 in July, August, part of Sept. Average payment plan is about $141. Natural gas-heating is about $64

Can you PM your neighbor agent"s info?

Also, how is the medical care there?

I just checked out Palestine and it looks like something I'm interested in. Your electric seems high. I'm running about $90 in winter, fall, and spring, and about $200 in July, August, part of Sept. Average payment plan is about $141. Natural gas-heating is about $64

Can you PM your neighbor agent"s info?

Also, how is the medical care there?
The utilities aren't bad when you consider that we are retired so we are home 24/7 and I am typically a night owl so we have electric running something all the time, not to mention 4 desktop computers, 1 dual processor Dell server and the associated networking equipment.
The local hospital is not something I'd want serious work done at, and most of that type stuff is Care Flighted (air ambulance) to Tyler, which is about 45 miles away. We do have an abundance of physician offices. We also have a cancer center here.

Just a quick snapshot of this mornings weather for us. Of course, this is NOT normal.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.35.48 AM.webp

Isn't Palestine near the Promised Land? :unsure: Stay warm!
Back in the old CB days it was referred to as the Holy City.
Of course, don't know if that was because of all the churches in town, the association with the mid-east, all the pot-holes in the road or the "ladies of the evening" that hung out where the truckers ate/spent the night.

-15 here this morning. Frozen friggen pipe somewhere and no hot water. Fun fun fun.
Our cold water pipe for the washer in the utility room is still frozen. Of course, it in direct line to a faucet on an exterior wall that is also frozen. As this morning wore on the cold water feed into the water heater also froze. Put several space heaters into the utility room and got the temp up to 84° and the hot water one thawed out (probably caught it before it totally froze) but the cold water one is frozen still.
Daughter and her husband livesin an apartment in Waco. She said that their water pipe from the water heater burst, as well as about 18 others in the complex. They've turned the water off to the entire complex.
Another family friend that lives in Freeport, TX has been without power since 8:30am yesterday and they just had an overhead pipe burst in the ceiling, flooding their house.
This is really abnormal weather for Texas.

-15 here this morning. Frozen friggen pipe somewhere and no hot water. Fun fun fun.
It's been pretty mild up here where I am. Yesterday we broke a record for the day that was set back in '86. Today we saw an overnight low of -1F and got up to a high of 12. Outlook for the rest of the week sees us at 65 by Friday. 20s tomorrow and 40s by Thursday. Winds have been moderate, not bad at all for us.

Minus 15? I just realized, you might be talking in terms of Celsius?

Top Bottom