Anyone else using free forum software but seriously considering xenForo?

yoghurtfarmer

I'm using free software right now but I think xenForo is innovative enough that I'm thinking about making the switch, provided it'll priced competitively and if there's a good converter.

Anyone else (whether it's SMF, phpBB, myBB etc.. ) share the same sentiments?

Yes, when we upgraded we lost all the passwords. From what I remember (it was quite a while ago) it wasn't that big an issue but then we didn't have a lot of members.

A little off topic, but with the disaster that was VB4 we considered going back to SMF, glad to say with XF here we will be going to that.

I'm with phpBB and have already decided to switch but I will need a solution for live chat.
I'll be creating a live (IRC) chat add-on if that counts for anything :p (that will be supported, unlike the ezirc for the whiny people on vb.org that never seem to be happy.)

I have a few forums, and a good sized project running on phpBB3. Might try to create a converter and then convert over. Looking forward to ideas. :)

I'll be creating a live (IRC) chat add-on if that counts for anything :p (that will be supported, unlike the ezirc for the whiny people on vb.org that never seem to be happy.)

I have a few forums, and a good sized project running on phpBB3. Might try to create a converter and then convert over. Looking forward to ideas. :)
Great!

I'm currently using the StarTrekGuide chat for phpBB if you know of it?

If yours is anything like that then I'll be extremely happy.

Hm.. I figured that the passwords wouldn't work in vb...but once converted to xF they would work fine.
I've no idea how large your forum is or how important the passwords are to you. But it may be possible that a smf->xf may emerge at some point. My wild guess would be that the passwords may be preserved.

Or if there is a ipb converter made available first, you could rent a 'hosted community' from them then import into that, so it could work like this smf -> ipb -> xf. The downside to doing that is that the 'permissions' will not carry over - but that is really easy to deal with compared to having thousands of peoples passwords changing.

I think what I typed is accurate.

Top Bottom