1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else using free forum software but seriously considering xenForo?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by yoghurtfarmer, Aug 10, 2010.

?

Anyone else using free forum software but seriously considering xenForo?

1. Yes

40.9%
  2. No

59.1%
  1. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

I'm using free software right now but I think xenForo is innovative enough that I'm thinking about making the switch, provided it'll priced competitively and if there's a good converter.

Anyone else (whether it's SMF, phpBB, myBB etc.. ) share the same sentiments?

2. principia

principia Well-Known Member

SMF+WP but searching for something better ;), because i only want one system.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'm with phpBB and have already decided to switch but I will need a solution for live chat.

4. Floris

Floris Guest

Yep, got a forum or two running on smf/phpbb, and will most likely convert those over if I can afford it.

5. darkon

darkon Member

I have two board running on MyBB and one running on vB 3.8.X

6. Eric

Eric Active Member

I have a few friends who use MyBB - I may try to do some convincing ;)

7. Gravity

Gravity Member

I have a phpbb/wordpress site and am considering this. I have some particular technical requirements though, so can't say for sure. I very much like what I see so far.

8. Mayers

Mayers Member

I replaced all my vB3's as the expired. Currently I have one for sure that I'd like to convert to XenForo.

9. yoghurtfarmer

Bump for post price information!

I think right now I'm not even going to wait for a converter. Hopefully I can get my hand on Impex and go the SMF -> vB -> xF route.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

You will loose the passwords in the smf->vb conversion I believe. Might want to investigate that part.

11. CFodder

CFodder Well-Known Member

Yes, when we upgraded we lost all the passwords. From what I remember (it was quite a while ago) it wasn't that big an issue but then we didn't have a lot of members.

A little off topic, but with the disaster that was VB4 we considered going back to SMF, glad to say with XF here we will be going to that.

12. Laric

Laric Active Member

Running SMF today. Will move to XF as soon as I can find a way to build a portal around it like I have currently with PortaMX.

13. bookmark

bookmark Well-Known Member

xenforo is not supoorting CJK searching right now.That's a big problem

14. Facepalmx2

Facepalmx2 Active Member

I'll be creating a live (IRC) chat add-on if that counts for anything :p (that will be supported, unlike the ezirc for the whiny people on vb.org that never seem to be happy.)

I have a few forums, and a good sized project running on phpBB3. Might try to create a converter and then convert over. Looking forward to ideas. :)

Mayers likes this.
  15. AmericanForum.com

AmericanForum.com Well-Known Member

I tried free ...

Fee is better especially when IPB has $5.00/month hosting included packages

... its a no brainer :)

16. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Great!

I'm currently using the StarTrekGuide chat for phpBB if you know of it?

If yours is anything like that then I'll be extremely happy.

17. yoghurtfarmer

Hm.. I figured that the passwords wouldn't work in vb...but once converted to xF they would work fine.

18. tmb

tmb Active Member

Running SMF+drupal but working on a test of moving to phpbb now and we will see if there is a way to convert to xen that works for us.

19. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

running three forums, vB, MyBB & phpBB. Look to convert one over to xf. The largest is the vB forum.

20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I've no idea how large your forum is or how important the passwords are to you. But it may be possible that a smf->xf may emerge at some point. My wild guess would be that the passwords may be preserved.

Or if there is a ipb converter made available first, you could rent a 'hosted community' from them then import into that, so it could work like this smf -> ipb -> xf. The downside to doing that is that the 'permissions' will not carry over - but that is really easy to deal with compared to having thousands of peoples passwords changing.

I think what I typed is accurate.