Add-on Anyone else think it's a disservice to have all the XTR modifications deleted?

ekool

What a shame to see all the XTR add-ons deleted simply because he doesn't release the updates here. I think it's time to think about changing the Xenforo policy on deleting actively maintained modifications... we've seen some good developers leave over the issue and at the end of the day it's really just politics.

Thoughts?

No matter what we do we can't win.

When we did nothing with add-ons which developers had abandoned we were blamed for not taking action and allowing members to download add-ons which were not supported.

What a shame to see all the XTR add-ons deleted simply because he doesn't release the updates here
It had nothing to do with that.
All they need to do is log in once every 3 months 45 days.

Has he released updates elsewhere and not here or just had nothing to update so didn't log in and thus got deleted?

Just wondering, however it sounds stupid, whether we're deleting addons simply if developers don't log in during a period or if there was behaviour associated.

Has he released updates elsewhere and not here or just had nothing to update so didn't log in and thus got deleted?

Just wondering, however it sounds stupid, whether we're deleting addons simply if developers don't log in during a period or if there was behaviour associated.
It was because he hadn't logged in, not because he was not releasing updates here.

If I understand correctly, resources are soft deleted, which means if a developer returns and asks to retrieve their content, it can be restored. @XDinc is likely aware that his resources were deleted today, so he knows the necessary steps. However, he might opt to manage his resources exclusively on his own site.

It has two sides... I think it's good that a cleaning occurs. But perhaps a 3 month span is a little low. Six months would suit better likely, but would it really change much?

Reactions: FTL
Many add ons that are a few years old still work today. Where was this posted yesterday?
The link to it was posted in this thread. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/2-new-permissions-for-user-groups.222371/
Why?
Does it not work?

Such as?
Just saying I find it odd that after 3.5 years there are no updates for it along with no ratings. I would think a developer would be active in updating their paid addons, but maybe I'm overreacting. I don't have it installed on my localhost.

When I first read this thread, I though "wow, 3 months is awfully short." Now I read it's 45 days? That's a very small window of time!

As to whether an add-on should be updated... it depends. If an add-on works, has no outstanding bugs (except for very minor), there's really not a need to update it.

with no ratings
Blame those who use it and can't be bothered to rate and review it.

I would think a developer would be active in updating their paid addons, but maybe I'm overreacting. I don't have it installed on my localhost.
So you've never used it but think it needs to be updated just because.

The worst part of being a developer is receiving unsubstantiated feedback from non developers.

I speak from experience.

Well there was an addon posted yesterday that hasn't been updated since 2020. You would think in 3.5 years that you would need an update. No ratings or updates.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xen-soluce-like-or-reply-to-download-resources.7264/

I think better housekeeping rules should be in place.
Most small add-ons will never need an update, because they are built for a specific purpose and that requires no additions and requires no changes once it is released (with the exception of major version updates by XenForo).

[QU
To simply log in to a site?

I can see something like a hospital stay, maternity/paternity leave, or extended vacation/holiday/travels taking this long.

I think 90 days is a reasonable period, with a "pending delete" status (or prefix) for 30 days after that. This would give people a chance to update if they decide to continue to stick with an add-on.

We tried that.

It didn't work.

I can see something like a hospital stay, maternity/paternity leave, or extended vacation/holiday/travels taking this long.
In this particular case, the author is apparently active on their own site, so clearly none of those scenarios apply.

Even then, I don't accept that someone can't log in to a site once in 45 days due to any of those reasons.

If they really can't then clearly deleting the resource is the right thing to do as they obviously can't provide support.

No matter what we do there will always be complaints.

Back
Top Bottom