Anyone else being hit with more than the usual spam today?

Just removed over a hundred users. Shame it has to be done via the SQL tables since Xenforo has no pruning feature. lol.
we all have to carry our package. I clicked accidentally now the 4th time on your damn white-space-signature during scrolling so thanks for that too.

I'm getting ready to start IP banning entire countries.... :mad:

I do this with the free country blocker addon (in addition to XenUtiles), which is probably why I'm only seeing a few more than normal get through.

x 8 XF sites, though, & it's still enough to be annoying.

I use Mandrill for all outbound email from my forums and for auto-disabling any accounts which have email bouncing back as undeliverable.

In the past few days I've seen a dramatic upswing in the number of undeliverable emails from registration - which to me indicates registration bots, rather than humans (humans typically use legitimate email addresses).

17-11-2012 9-16-16 PM.webp

The above stats show delivered vs bounced emails over the past 14 days - notice the orange line (bounced emails) spiking today?

I usually monitor my deliverability percentage over the past 7 days and this particular forum typically hovers around the 94-95% mark (lower than my other forums, but still acceptable). It recently dropped to below 30%, which means that more than 2 out of every 3 emails being sent by the forum are to email addresses which are invalid.

Looking at the actual addresses - most of them are made-up gmail addresses. So I'm hoping that this is some kind of bot that Google have been able to block from their end and disabled the email addresses it created.

Either way, I've seen a dramatic up-tick in the volume of spam on most of my forums, including my vBulletin forums.

Yeah, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

I recently created an account at an admin discussion forum and going back there today, my account was removed/deleted. I figure it was because I didn't post immediately as soon as I made the account.

Collectively, I support removing zero-post accounts after a certain time period, but deleting a valid account right away, that's kind of off putting and punishes valid users who want to join a site.

For my case, I sent a message to the site in question via the contact form and I hope to get a reply in a reasonable time frame.

Point of my post: Consider how you may impact future members in managing accounts. Personally for my own sites, if someone doesn't post with 30 days, the account gets removed automatically.

I've added this to help with registrations
https://www.keycaptcha.com/xenforo-captcha/

Collectively, I support removing zero-post accounts after a certain time period, but deleting a valid account right away, that's kind of off putting and punishes valid users who want to join a site.

I ran that query for the first time yesterday and removed 2500 zero post users.
I suspect most of these accounts were several years old, but I'm sure we got a few new users as well and I apologize to them.

never use the XF-default image-captcha.
Spam-bots are getting through this easily. They have hit my forum by creating 17000 spam-threads in literally 2 weeks.

Q&A captcha improves things a lot.....

We had a large increase of spam registrations, I woke up and the was 50+ spammers online. None posted anything oddly enough, no profile links, nada.

I changed the Q&A questions and deleted the old ones and they all stopped. I think I will change them every week from now on.

We had a large increase of spam registrations, I woke up and the was 50+ spammers online. None posted anything oddly enough, no profile links, nada.

I changed the Q&A questions and deleted the old ones and they all stopped. I think I will change them every week from now on.

I replaced challenge questions with KeyCAPTCHA (free!) last night, and the spam that was getting through stopped immediately, none since. If they break KeyCAPTCHA, I can always go back to challenge questions, but I rather not spend my time changing/updating them across multiples sites.

Top Bottom