Anyone else being hit with more than the usual spam today?

RPdom.com has yet to be spammed. I use keycaptcha and xenutilies for the stopforum spam database. I have it at the lowest setting and regular members are registering as normal. All that plus a few inhouse things we have done have caused us not to see a spam bot in months. Though registration attempts are off the charts and it's really scary if they just started to get through :(......

The amount of registrations at that level would create a lot of work for a very good while, My feelings and thoughts go out to those boards that got hit, there is nothing more distasteful then coming home and seeing your board covered in thousnds of/posts/threads/users all with different ips and emails so you can't effectively use spam cleaner.

Though I do believe Jake Bunce released a guide on how to delete mass amounts of members and their posts within a certain ID range if you were attacked by bots on a large scale.

I hadn't had spam for weeks after converting from vB 4.2.0 to XF, just using Q/A like "What's the third word in this sentence?" answer: third
lol. (zero resources for anti-spam then) and I had several/tons of "stopforumspam" listed IPs / attempts to register the site..

I'm getting attempts every few mins all day

spam.webp

You know I'm not a big forum but on VB I used to get hit really heavy on any given day.

I use a question as my spam protection. I get maybe 1 or 2 spammers a month. The worst time for me on XF was when the spam first started coming in. Most of those accounts signed up back in the VB days. They were like SLEEPERS! lmao

I also use stopforumspam I believe or some add-on I had here. too lazy to check my admin panel right now.

I use a question as my spam protection. I get maybe 1 or 2 spammers a month. The worst time for me on XF was when the spam first started coming in. Most of those accounts signed up back in the VB days. They were like SLEEPERS! lmao

haha.. "sleepers" lol. they were just there taking naps on your site.. and woke up one day after hard night of drinking at bar... "*yawn* hey, where am I again? oh right! .. lets get this guy today!" lmfao..

But for my registered usergroup only, I make habit to DELETE any users with ZERO post counts every so often too.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/delete-users-with-zero-posts.39455/#post-434473

Registered usergroup ID = 2. It doesn't delete ALL their user records though, just them. But it does work and help, because if they're legit users, really wanting to be on the site/part of my site.. They'd come back again, re-join and perhaps even start actually being active. For me, it's not loss anyway, because it's only removing users that haven't posted a single post since joining the site, so either they're lazy / leechers or possible spam sleepers - which I doubt, because they would have flooded site with spam by now lol.

haha.. "sleepers" lol. they were just there taking naps on your site.. and woke up one day after hard night of drinking at bar... "*yawn* hey, where am I again? oh right! .. lets get this guy today!" lmfao..
I've had accounts sit dormant for a few months before they started spamming.

I've had accounts sit dormant for a few months before they started spamming.

yeah, i heard of that happening before.. sucks.. :(. that's why i do my "clean up" as stated above there, periodically lol.. xD

Where are you getting your IP ranges from?
I'm using the Deny Country add on (whatever the actual name is). To clarify, I just started using that a few hours ago after this attack. :P

It does seem to be working. Banned countries include Russia, Ukraine, Sweden, China and Japan in order of most spam bots to least.

They destroyed one of my sites! The StopForumSpam and custom question and answer doesn't work. They managed to post 250,000 messages in no time (that was a while ago and it's even worse now!). I had to change my other site to manual approval to keep it going. I'm getting a spammer at least every 5 mintues.

I'm also running a website with IPB's spam service which hasn't seen a single spammer through all of this. I wonder how they're doing it.

I also notice that the same IP address tends to attempt to register at the same time. I wonder if anyone can make a mod that auto-cleans them if the same IP address tries to register back to back.

Top Bottom