Anyone a Halo fan? Looking forward to Halo 4?

Halo 4 is certainly better than Reach, but I doubt anything will live up to H2. Still, you have to buy the game if you care about the Halo story. PS. Many of the people at 343i are former Bungie employees.
You could read the books. In fact, a lot of the backstory in Halo 4 is in the most recent books and unfortunately they rely quite a bit on the player to be aware of that backstory–they don't do a decent job in filling in the blanks during the game (for example, explaining why the Covenant were still attacking you despite the truce that was formed previously).

And no... I've seen that rumor a ton of times and I have no idea where it started. Only about 5 Bungie employees left to join 343i, the rest have stayed with Bungie (and their team has gotten bigger).

Halo 4 is certainly better than Reach, but I doubt anything will live up to H2. Still, you have to buy the game if you care about the Halo story. PS. Many of the people at 343i are former Bungie employees.
I miss Halo 2, i made this mod that allowed me to build stuff on the map in game...it was sweet we would make ascension have 5-10 times more ground to fight on and it would be unique every time...we would build the map and then allow the people waiting in lobby on the pc to join the match on xbox....
literally from this angle, you couldn't even see the large tower because of all the new fighting ground we would create...
Ascension.png

I have to find the video bin of captures when we were playing....this map with snipers that fired sticky grenades was just effing awesome...

these aren't my videos but they remind me of some of the stuff we used to do
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and racetracks were always fun...:-)

As far as halo 4, swat is still swat but with everything else the game play feels different, not bad or anything just different, but this has been the first halo that I really enjoyed since Halo 2 so I would have to say it is a major improvement. The campaign as far as game play feels really good and I enjoy playing it, which I can't say about many multiplayer games that also have a campaign. Either way, it could have sucked and I would have bought it, I love halo.

Those maps look fun. I love Halo 2. I remember popping in Halo 2 about two or three years ago and playing it right before Microsoft closed it for Halo 2. I hopped right in and was making first or second place. I was like wow wtf I still got skills like that? It was funny cause I was trying to figure out the buttons at the beginning of the match but once I figured it out I went from last place to first. I've played so much Halo in my life man it's ridiculous.

also read the description....they planned on patching the title...never happened...

awesome mods on video....
gravity gun ftw :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRs83nsqU_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVxmBxcBUpE

I wish they bring back all the Halo 2 maps.

if you still have halo 2 I could load up some mods and we can play any map you want :)

You could read the books. In fact, a lot of the backstory in Halo 4 is in the most recent books and unfortunately they rely quite a bit on the player to be aware of that backstory–they don't do a decent job in filling in the blanks during the game (for example, explaining why the Covenant were still attacking you despite the truce that was formed previously).

And no... I've seen that rumor a ton of times and I have no idea where it started. Only about 5 Bungie employees left to join 343i, the rest have stayed with Bungie (and their team has gotten bigger).
They've released a lot of books. My fav one is the fall of reach. I need to play catch up though.

Being a fan of Halo from the beginning, it is really difficult to get used to the way it is now. In my opinion, Halo 4 is definitely better than Reach but it's not really Halo anymore. Other than the story, they could have used an entirely different title for the game.

A lot of my buddies and I agree that while this isn't the same Halo, we have the same enjoyment playing multiplayer as we did playing Halo 2.

A lot of my buddies and I agree that while this isn't the same Halo, we have the same enjoyment playing multiplayer as we did playing Halo 2.
I think that sums it up from what I've been reading. A lot of people think it's fun, but it isn't Halo, and in fact I'm not putting in a huge number of hours playing Halo 4 as I did Halo 2, 3, and Reach... I'm actually playing Borderlands 2 and Dishonored now, and haven't touched Halo 4 in a couple of days. I don't feel like I'm missing anything like I used to if I didn't get a few hours in every day. :(

It's likely this time next year I'll be playing Destiny all the time (can't wait for that :D).

I think that sums it up from what I've been reading. A lot of people think it's fun, but it isn't Halo, and in fact I'm not putting in a huge number of hours playing Halo 4 as I did Halo 2, 3, and Reach... I'm actually playing Borderlands 2 and Dishonored now, and haven't touched Halo 4 in a couple of days. I don't feel like I'm missing anything like I used to if I didn't get a few hours in every day. :(

It's likely this time next year I'll be playing Destiny all the time (can't wait for that :D).
It is Halo. I can tell you it is Halo. Everyone wants a ported version of Halo 1 or 2. Anyone that says Halo 3 or Reach was good is just plain lying. I couldn't play more than a few hours of that. I play with multiple communities including adult leagues (casual and competitive), competitive leagues, professional leagues from Halo 2 and I can say that many people who stopped after Halo 2 have come back for Halo 4. I can go on and on how much they made the game enjoyable and how they can further improve it.

It is Halo. I can tell you it is Halo. Everyone wants a ported version of Halo 1 or 2. Anyone that says Halo 3 or Reach was good is just plain lying. I couldn't play more than a few hours of that. I play with multiple communities including adult leagues (casual and competitive), competitive leagues, professional leagues from Halo 2 and I can say that many people who stopped after Halo 2 have come back for Halo 4. I can go on and on how much they made the game enjoyable and how they can further improve it.
It isn't what makes Halo Halo, though. And I guess you can call me a liar, as I enjoyed Halo 3 and Reach and put tons of hours into playing both of those as well as the first two.

I wasn't expecting a port of any of the previous games, but I wasn't expecting core Halo gameplay to be thrown out the window or altered to such extremes (one of main ones being that everyone starts on an even playing field). A lot of the gameplay and design decision comes down to what happens when fans of a franchise get the opportunity to actually control and develop it: While a few nice things get sprinkled in, a good chunk of it should've never made it into a Halo game. Some of it's great for some other franchise, but not this one. Not to mention a number of features people made use of are completely removed from this game or rendered useless for no obvious reason.

I think it also suffers from being positioned in a way that it opens itself to casual players so much so that it alienates the existing fanbase. One of the obvious examples of this is removal of medals like Sword Spree (you only get one for Spree now), while getting a medal just for making a kill. There's such a flood of medals now–most of them for the most mundane things–and they look a lot alike that there's really no point in even bothering to see what you got in each one (not that you even have much time to look them over before the next match starts anyway).

Yeah, Halo 4 is faster than Reach and more alongside Halo 2/3, but it definitely is more of a step away from Halo in general. I'll wait until the Title Update comes along and see how many issues it fixes up (why in the world 343i didn't think a beta was necessary is beyond me), but it's unlikely I'll fall behind future Halo games as much as I did for the previous ones.

To be honest, Microsoft should've left Halo with Bungie but more importantly than that, they should've allowed Bungie to move on from Halo to something else and let the franchise rest for a bit. A decade solid is pretty good for any franchise, but I suppose the call for money was too much. We'll have to see its staying power, but for me it's definitely not a game I'm pouring endless hours into like I did with the others and I'm usually comfortable with how a game can change between sequels.

It isn't what makes Halo Halo, though. And I guess you can call me a liar, as I enjoyed Halo 3 and Reach and put tons of hours into playing both of those as well as the first two.

I wasn't expecting a port of any of the previous games, but I wasn't expecting core Halo gameplay to be thrown out the window or altered to such extremes (one of main ones being that everyone starts on an even playing field). A lot of the gameplay and design decision comes down to what happens when fans of a franchise get the opportunity to actually control and develop it: While a few nice things get sprinkled in, a good chunk of it should've never made it into a Halo game. Some of it's great for some other franchise, but not this one. Not to mention a number of features people made use of are completely removed from this game or rendered useless for no obvious reason.

I think it also suffers from being positioned in a way that it opens itself to casual players so much so that it alienates the existing fanbase. One of the obvious examples of this is removal of medals like Sword Spree (you only get one for Spree now), while getting a medal just for making a kill. There's such a flood of medals now–most of them for the most mundane things–and they look a lot alike that there's really no point in even bothering to see what you got in each one (not that you even have much time to look them over before the next match starts anyway).

Yeah, Halo 4 is faster than Reach and more alongside Halo 2/3, but it definitely is more of a step away from Halo in general. I'll wait until the Title Update comes along and see how many issues it fixes up (why in the world 343i didn't think a beta was necessary is beyond me), but it's unlikely I'll fall behind future Halo games as much as I did for the previous ones.

To be honest, Microsoft should've left Halo with Bungie but more importantly than that, they should've allowed Bungie to move on from Halo to something else and let the franchise rest for a bit. A decade solid is pretty good for any franchise, but I suppose the call for money was too much. We'll have to see its staying power, but for me it's definitely not a game I'm pouring endless hours into like I did with the others and I'm usually comfortable with how a game can change between sequels.

Maybe this is the difference between Halo 2 players vs Halo Reach/Halo 3 players. I'll address everything. I like that they included a BR and DMR that is equally strong. I never liked the assault rifle. The thing is that it opens itself to casual players, but it allows good players to separate themselves. I can enjoy playing casually and the semi and professional players. It is a ton of fun. Sure, there are things like Jetpacks and such that has been entered since whatever, but they become a lot of fun. Quite honestly, I loved Halo 2 and hated Halo 3 and Reach. I don't need anything extra from that game.

As for the medals. They don't bother me. Sword spree isn't major, but there are a ridiculous amount of medals. Comeback kill medal pisses me off, but whatever. I don't look at them and it doesn't bother me. I like the speed of Halo 4.

Bungie sucked. After Halo 2, the guys who designed the multiplayer either quit or left. The fans like the maps that they created. Plus the good developers went to 343. Halo has made me a gamer. Halo has made over 3 billion dollars and they won't end it now. I still don't see how you don't like it to be honest.

I liked Halo 3. It was a good game. I really liked it's multi-player too. I wonder if anyone still plays it?

Interesting...
***SPOILER ALERT***
but my only desire for Halo now is to see Cortana come back :(. I mean, Chief has fallen to planets and survived, so I don't see Cortana's survival as impossible.

Top Bottom