Any wordpress users here? A few questions

Panupat

Hope it's not the wrong place. But I'm under impression that htere are a lot of wordpress users here :) wordpress.org hadn't been really responsive to my questions.

Say, I want to post new entries with images and categorize them. For example

News
2D
3D
Tutorials

Now, when displaying them on the front page, I want to have each group shows up in their own area in their own way. For example

- News - thumbnails, larger size, 5 of them with little headline text
- 2D - thumbnails only, smaller size, 10 of them
- 3D - thumbnails only, same size as 2D, 10 of them
- Tutorials - thumbnails and teaser, like ordinary blog posts

Will wordpress be able to do this? To be a little more specific

- Is it possible at all to tell wordpress to display certain category in a certain area of the front page? For example area A shows category 1, area B show category 2? I'm under impression that, if wordpress is able to do that, the rest would be up to me to prepare templates to display them the way I want?

- Does wordpress create thumbnails automatically?

- How much control do we have over the thumbnails? Can we choose which images will become thumbnails? Or manually add thumbnails ourselves?

- Can I have different thumbnail size for different category?

Any advice appreciate
smile.gif

yes wordpress can do all that but the thumbnail resizing usually it is done automatically but you can always just add the image itself. I have done all of this many times.

There is a xenforo script to link up wordpress?

I'm trying to decide whether to use Xenporta or wordpress for the landing page. I believe Xenporta links to threads in the forum. Can wordpress do that?

Xenporta is good but i found some issues with it but working on it. I am testing this one http://xenscripts.com/xenforo-to-wordpress-bridge/ I know it does make a thread when you create it in wordpress. Sorry wish i had more stuff to say about it but still testing.

With the script you have to create wordpress like your forum so that is a big issue if you do not know how to code.

There is a xenforo script to link up wordpress?

I'm trying to decide whether to use Xenporta or wordpress for the landing page. I believe Xenporta links to threads in the forum. Can wordpress do that?
xenporta does. you can see a good example of it working on my site.

wordpress also does but you will enter problems when trying to have other people post their blogs on wordpress so that it can go to the forums. sometimes the user ids get really jacked up.

Thanks guys. I'm diving into wordpress right now :)

Can you recommend me some add-on/plugin to help do what I want before I start?

xenporta does. you can see a good example of it working on my site.

wordpress also does but you will enter problems when trying to have other people post their blogs on wordpress so that it can go to the forums. sometimes the user ids get really jacked up.

Thanks, but what I was looking for is more like a blog with comments linked to a forum thread.

Top Bottom