Any way to know if XF board is illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koiranpentu

Is there any way to know whether a XenForo board is legal or not? I tried to search if somebody has asked something like this before but I was unable to find anything useful.

As a license owner I really hate people who use nulled boards. Sometimes I'm just suspecting boards which come from nowhere and have young admins, paid theme and possibly some paid addons too.

Well, I might be of course too sceptical... but when I was 18 I didn't even have money to purchase a forum license.

If I want to know whether a board is illegal or not, should I just send PM to XF staff and ask them if there is a license matching that board?

So it's ok just to ask whether a board is legal or not? There is 50-50 percent possibility that the board could be legal or illegal.

Normally I would only report when I'm sure a board is illegal. As I said, I might just be too sceptical because young people don't usually have money to buy forum licenses but there is another 50% possibility somebody has enough money to own a license.

Information on licenses is not given out as it is confidential information.

You are free to report suspected pirated installations and you can use the license validation API if you want to confirm a particular license, but you will need the license owner to cooperate: License Validation

Information on licenses is not given out as it is confidential information.

You are free to report suspected pirated installations and you can use the license validation API if you want to confirm a particular license, but you will need the license owner to cooperate: License Validation
If I report a board url, is XenForo staff allowed to tell me whether the board was legal or illegal or is that too confidential information? That would be the only piece of information I need.

If I report a board url, is XenForo staff allowed to tell me whether the board was legal or illegal or is that too confidential information? That would be the only piece of information I need.

No, they can't tell you that. It's still confidential information and that is with any software company, not just xenForo.

Well, I might be of course too sceptical... but when I was 18 I didn't even have money to purchase a forum license.
When I was 17, I raised enough money to buy a legit vBulletin License. Just because you didn't find a way someone else is stealing?
You are what's wrong in the world. Jealous of what others have, or probably a competitor in this case.

When I was 17, I raised enough money to buy a legit vBulletin License. Just because you didn't find a way someone else is stealing?
You are what's wrong in the world. Jealous of what others have, or probably a competitor in this case.

Indeed.

There are 14-year-olds here legitimately purchasing licenses.

Jealous? Sorry but what are you talking about? I have enough money to buy lots of XF licenses if I want to. I could even buy a good car if I want to. I could have already bought a nice car with my very own money when I was too young to have a driving license.

I'm just administrator of a Finnish Minecraft forum. I know an adult who have used illegal XF/vB/IPB and advertised their community on our board. I even know a guy who sold (yeah, sold) Finnish XenForo translation to another board without asking anyone's permission (this guy was just trusted to help at translating, he wasn't any of the main translators of that translation). It's not a miracle find a site with an illegal license.

I just don't want to let people advertise illegal boards on my site. That's the thing.

EDIT: And I asked if there is a way to see if a license is legal. I got the response already so I don't want to continue this offtopic. Also, I'm sorry if I sound offensive in this post. Wasn't purpose to do so. I just don't like to see people who come to revive done threads with offtopic such as I sound like a jealous guy or a guy who doesn't want any competitors. That's not the thing in this case. I don't just don't want to let people advertise illegal boards on my site. Simple as that.

I'm done in this thread so I'm not going to respond nothing to future messages.

Last edited:

It's really none of your business. Report it or don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom