Any Video Tutorials?

I am hoping there is a section i have somehow missed that guides new xenforo customers through all the different aspects of setting it all up. i installed just fine and also purchased and have installed the resource manager, but all the "Tips and Guides" and printed manual is sooooo overwhelming!

If there isn't a section here that offers video tutorials could someone please point me to some place that does have at least some video tutorials, perhaps on youtube??

thanks,

Welcome to XenForo.

I know my answer is very probably not what you are looking for, but reading the forums here helps a lot. Also asking. If you can’t find the answer to your question, ask it. Many forum members are willing to help. I have had a great experience with that.

Thanks. Good to hear.

I want to say that I researched long and diligently for a decently reliable forum software and the more I researched the more discouraged
I became.

I was close to going with vBulletin, but after reading tons of complaints that pretty much persuaded me that after the GLARE of the shiny bells
and whistles wear off - all that's left is bugs, bugs and more bugs - and little to no product support.

I hadn't even considered Xenforo because I thought it was primarily for game sites, but when I googled Xenforo I kept pulling up
how great it was. I really thought the only option was playing the "microsoft game" of buying the software and chasing bugs at your
expense and their profit.

But, so far I'm elated! Still wish their were some video tutorials. What can I say, I'm a fan of ___________ for Dummies. :)

thanks

Well, let's see. Basically, the videos would be of a step-by-step, point and click style. They would explain EVERYTHING and even the "what not to do's" and why to not do it. (just kidding, sorta..) I have ADHD and it's difficult to sit for long and though I've always loved to read - my hundreds of thousands of daily thoughts tend to intrude rather frequently (particularly if I feel that something needs to be done and "it always needs to be done NOW'") SO, off I go to "do it" and then come back to read. Videos tend to hold my attention longer and help me stay on task (perhaps because of that incredible thing we call a pause button - i never lose my place) I suppose you would have to have ADHD to fully appreciate the great wonders of video tutorials :)

That's helpful. Out of curiousity, what sort of subjects do you think would be most helpful to the XenForo community? I'm not inclined to make any for here because I don't think that the community would find them helpful enough for them to be featured where newcomers (the people who would need them) would see them. Kier probably would have made his own videos if he wanted them.

You said: "Kier probably would have made his own videos if he wanted them." I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic (which is exactly how you come across) or serious, but I do know that Kier did not start this thread so it obviously has nothing to do with whether Kier 'would have made his own videos if he wanted them'. I'm equally sure that Kier doesn't need videos to show him how to use Xenforo. So, if your intention was genuinely aimed at HELPING - sir, you missed your mark by about a million or so miles! But hey, thanks for a great waste of my time and adding to my frustration. and a ps here - fyi - newcomers are part of this community also. shucks, i'll bet even you were a newcomer here at one time.

Oops, FFL, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I was actually thinking of making videos myself, but because I post here in a professional capacity, I didn't want to promise anything that I wouldn't actually deliver. I've made about 40 videos for my own site, and at some point I would like to do something to give back to the XenForo community because it has given so much to me. I thought maybe I could make a video at some point. However, my todo list has grown to become somewhat overwhelming and so I can only afford to make a video if it will help a lot of people.

As I'm sure you know from marketing your own website, anything you make can only have an impact if people actually see it. My concern is that if I made a video, it might only get 60 views. Please pardon me for being concise and business like, but that isn't enough to motivate me to make something for people I don't even know and who might not be nice to me. In the end, after all, that is my choice and my choice alone.

We are both busy people, so let's put this post and the last two posts behind us and start over. This is the official support forum for a business and has very high traffic, so the amazing moderation staff can't afford to tolerate threads or posts that break the rules.

If you're interested in sharing, I'm still interested in hearing what type of instructional videos you think would be most helpful. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

My apologies to you as well. And I think that would be great help to the community, but the problem with answering your question as to what would be helpful, for new people is "knowing what questions to ask" and where they are as far as their experience level at running a forum. Like yourself, I don't have the time to spend creating a list of what would be "helpful to the numbers". So, again, I apologize and appreciate your time limits also.

Thanks. Good to hear.

I want to say that I researched long and diligently for a decently reliable forum software and the more I researched the more discouraged
I became.

I was close to going with vBulletin, but after reading tons of complaints that pretty much persuaded me that after the GLARE of the shiny bells
and whistles wear off - all that's left is bugs, bugs and more bugs - and little to no product support.

I hadn't even considered Xenforo because I thought it was primarily for game sites, but when I googled Xenforo I kept pulling up
how great it was. I really thought the only option was playing the "microsoft game" of buying the software and chasing bugs at your
expense and their profit.

But, so far I'm elated! Still wish their were some video tutorials. What can I say, I'm a fan of ___________ for Dummies. :)

thanks
I went for VB last summer, and basic features did not work. Purchased and installed XenForo this month and what a difference!

Someone should write XenForo for Dummies and have it published by Wiley ;)

With some videos to compliment it of course!

Liam

I'd be willing to put a video together when I make my next style -- it would show all the things I do, such as template edits.

Managed to get this done today. The video is two hours, five minutes and 46 seconds, so I will be splitting it into five videos of about 25 minutes each.

Wow, that sounds terrific!

I was thinking of doing a video where I did a fresh install from start to finish, using a cPanel. After the install I would have done a 5 minute tour of the user side of the site and a 10-15 minute tour of the Admin Control Panel. If I've read this thread correctly, that may have been what would have been most helpful to @Family Friendly Lives .

Top Bottom