Duplicate Any user update changes allow_send_personal_conversation from everyone to members

jeffwidman

I have a Xenforo 1.4 forum that I imported from SMF.

I noticed that the first time someone makes a change to a user profile, it's also always changing the field xf_user_privacy.allow_send_personal_conversation for that user from "everyone" to "members"... I think this refers to who can send PMs to that user?

This happens both when I edit someone in the ACP and when a user updates their profile.

I checked the ACP and there's no option to change this field in the UI, so I'm guessing something is happening behind the scenes.

I'm not sure what the correct value of this field should be--if it should be "everyone" or "members", but it should be the same for all these users, not slowly updating one at a time.

If the correct value is "members", then I think this is a bug with the SMF import script not setting it correctly. If the correct value should be "everyone", then something connected to editing a user is causing this bug.

I did wonder if it was related to permissions but I have not changed any of these user's permissions, only the permissions of the user groups they belong to.

We don't class this as a bug, it has been reported before. "Everyone" is a valid value.

"Everyone" is a valid value for the send conversations privacy option, it's just not exposed in the UI as it doesn't really make sense (since conversations can't be sent by guests). Thus, in terms of what was saved, the value was actually changed in the DB after loading the UI.

The default value may theoretically be off, but the value is actually being changed after saving so the log entry is expected.

Gotcha. I searched but hadn't found a previous report... Is there a link or search term I can use to find it?

I'd like to read the previous discussion/explanation on this...

As a followup--it's totally up to you guys how you want to run things, but I personally would prefer this to be batch-set to "members" by the importer script... since it's going to just get changed to that anyway every time someone updates their user record.

Doing it at import time keeps the user-change-log from getting clogged with extraneous info, and also prevents any confusion on why some of these records have "everyone" despite all new registrations have "members".

Anyway, I've batch updated all my user records and removed the entries from the log, so doesn't affect me anymore, just my general feedback. You guys have a great product and great support, no complaints here.

Top Bottom