Any tips on how to make a forum succeed?

JABRONI

My definition of forum success is having an active forum. I don't really care too much about making money from ads. I've made a lot of forums over the past couple of years (almost all of them were gaming related) and I can't seem to ever attract new members. I always have the core 10 who follow my forums, but I can never seem to attract newer members. If I do get a sign up, they usually just lurk or never post.

Does anyone have any tips on forum admin'ing? It would be greatly appreciated.

Try to find a subject or topic that either hasn't been done (not likely) or isn't seen too often. Make sure you yourself are active on your board and keep it up to date. Start small and then gradually expand your board's focus.

The gaming world works to quickly and is also an arena of strong competition.....

That's the first rule of "little guy" business...it's better to find a niche which is not already being well served and fought over!

The gaming world works to quickly and is also an arena of strong competition.....

That's the first rule of "little guy" business...it's better to find a niche which is not already being well served and fought over!

Gaming world works quickly but it's hard to maintain over time. In fact, I found tech forums lasting for long time.

This just like reading books on how to become a successful traders, investors from those who made it (or not). The formula for success is not something anyone can implement without the crucial ingredients (luck, skills, timing), etc, I'm afraid.
True but it is a good idea to see what others have done to succeed, no need to reinvent the wheel. :)

True but it is a good idea to see what others have done to succeed, no need to reinvent the wheel. :)
Yes, believe me I read as many as I can find on those admin forums years ago. I wish I can add something of values to what already been said a thousand times in those guides.
Some people rate success as making money. The OP wants active forums so there are different ways to reach the goal.

I've been playing Xbox Live since late 2004, I'm a YouTube director with Machinima, and I compete in Major League Gaming events for Halo. I guess it's one of my biggest hobbies haha.
You and a couple hundred million others...which is just the problem!
;)

Now, if you want to start a forum about old Boston Whalers (boats), that's another matter........you are likely to have some visitors.

If your goal is to simply have an active forum, I suggest your focus should be on two things. First, start new and interesting discussions regularly. At least daily. Second, continually invite people to join and participate in your forum. Even if it's just one new member a day. If you focus on those two things, and stick with it for the long-term, you'll have an active forum. Where I see many people falter is that they don't stick with it long enough.

Top Bottom