Any Joomla people here?

What the hell is a CCK for us unwashed non-programmers ?

PS: If Drupal is too hard for you, I will never try it.

A CCK is basically a kind of an addon on a CMS using which you can build your own content types. CCK stands for Content Construction Kit. Imagine how you interact with XF. You create Threads and Posts which can be called Content Types. Now a thread has title, content as it's fields. What if you wanted that whenever a user is creating a new thread, he should also enter his site name which should be displayed at the top of every post. Now there is no field when creating a new thread/post to enter and store sitename field separately. Now if you had a XF CCK for example, you could create a new content type where you can define extra fields and also define how users will enter data in them and how they will be displayed. :)

About Drupal I should also mention that I tried it for a day and didn't like it much. Maybe if I stuck with it longer I might have found it easier. :)

That's interesting. I found Joomla hard to figure out, yet Drupal is fine. Neither one is easy, per se, but Drupal works for me.

I guess it's down to experience. I have very little experience with Drupal and had to give up the couple of times that I seriously tried it. Joomla I have been using for many sites since many years so I know the ins and out of it. Still WP beats them both hands down... :)

LOL, I wish vB 3.6 had a CCK field so I could change the user profile form, especially the one that spammers are spamming, homepage link slots.

Thanks for the explanation.

Joomla by itself is not the best for design purposes compared to WP, however; when you start talking about the programming level... then your on drugs to think Joomla doesn't perform optimally. I would actually say if you put WP and Joomla side by side with equivalent content, you would more than likely find WP will use more resources than Joomla does nowadays... WP has become quite the resource hungry little pig nowadays.

Now if you add the Gantry system to Joomla.... which I do, then you suddenly have equivalent excellence with WP for design scope.

But eye for eye... WP has it over Joomla for design ease out of the box, as Joomla needs Gantry to become really spectacular for design clarity, using the 960 grid system.

If the next Joomla doesn't screwup by also becoming a resource pig like WP has... then it may get quite the revival in the CMS community.

It's a question of usability. I don't like the logic of Joomla .. the way it organizes things is awkward ... If you follow its logic then it is definitely for you :)

Is 1.6 out ?

It's a question of usability. I don't like the logic of Joomla .. the way it organizes things is awkward ... If you follow its logic then it is definitely for you :)

Is 1.6 out ?

It's not hard to Organize the things the way you want :) You just need to get used to Joomla i don't find it hard at all .

2.5 years in the making. Betas are coming out fast and furious.

Joomla 1.6 Beta 14 Now Available (Monday, 15 November 2010)

What's next?

Beta 15 (or possibly 1.6 Release Candidate 1) will be released on November 29, 2010.
Will give it a go when the stable release is out, maybe they changed few things,
My statement above is about 1.5 .. So will see what's coming :)

Yep :) not question of hard ....

Question of awkward :D

haha well if u give some time to it i am pretty sure you won't feel same . Couples of years back joomla was extremely slow cms and now as time changes things are getting changed .... with very less modules you can come up with simple and nice web using joomla.

Yep :) not question of hard ....

Question of awkward :D
Completely agree.... out of the box, it is awkward compared to WP... without having to add other things to make it easy, which just shouldn't need to be done IMHO. I hope they build 1.6 more inline for ease of design without having to add something like Gantry too it just to get functional design.

Top Bottom