Any IPB2.x or IPB3.x/3.1.x owners?

Personally, I've considered IPB the best forum software out there until XF came along. My main gripes with IPB are...

• Less-than-intuitive UI
  • Lots of bloat - I don't WANT 40293409234 features at the cost of some performance
Plus, the ton of fancy AJAX/JS in XF are a huge bonus (quick replies, member cards, etc). As a matter of fact, better SEO from 3.0.5 -> XF is a bonus too :p

Personally, I've considered IPB the best forum software out there until XF came along. My main gripes with IPB are...

• Less-than-intuitive UI
  • Lots of bloat - I don't WANT 40293409234 features at the cost of some performance
Plus, the ton of fancy AJAX/JS in XF are a huge bonus (quick replies, member cards, etc). As a matter of fact, better SEO from 3.0.5 -> XF is a bonus too :p
I'm with Caelum. I run IPB 3.1.5 and am waiting to hear about server performance before seriously considering switching. I'm also in the process of redesigning my front page, so may as well convert to XenForo at the same time.

Aye. I'm anticipating it'll be better for reasons of less bloat, but server performance isn't really a problem for me anyway at the moment :)

Honestly, I'm hoping to get meself some new clients who want an XF theme while I'm at it, give me a chance to get the hang of it. But I'll probably end up making some publicly available themes :p

I own an 3.1 board and co-own some 3.0.5 boards. I can say IPB 3.1.x is very buggy and I really dislike it, nothing beats 3.0.5 in stability :)

Lets see what xenforo brings to the world of bulletin boards.

A 3.1.2 board and a 2.3.x board.

We are converting the 2.3.x board to Xen as our members are generally confused by all the IPS options. Also opening a new site based on Xen as I think it will be by a mile the best software for the intended audience. Oh and there's another one soon to be announced.

Oh yes. I was on 3.0.2 and completely unable to upgrade to anywhere sensible as it just failed every single time. (And I know I could have logged a call, but when you're working with your proper job all the time you can't afford the downtime and back-and-forth).

I was delighted to see XF on the horizon. IPB is completed bloated for what I want nowadays - my site is very mature (going on eight years for the forum, 13 for the main site that it's associated with), probably medium-sized, but all we want is a nice, simple piece of Forum software. No gallery, no blog, no CMS, no nothing. Just a means to talk in a forum with each that we can manage easily. XF looks the perfect solution for me.

Typically Sod's Law then came along and completely killed my hosting package, so I had to move to a new server which ironically runs the latest IPB. Never mind, I'm still planning the switch and have got my staff excited in it as well (quite the achievement).

Oh yes. I was on 3.0.2 and completely unable to upgrade to anywhere sensible as it just failed every single time. (And I know I could have logged a call, but when you're working with your proper job all the time you can't afford the downtime and back-and-forth).

I was delighted to see XF on the horizon. IPB is completed bloated for what I want nowadays - my site is very mature (going on eight years for the forum, 13 for the main site that it's associated with), probably medium-sized, but all we want is a nice, simple piece of Forum software. No gallery, no blog, no CMS, no nothing. Just a means to talk in a forum with each that we can manage easily. XF looks the perfect solution for me.

Typically Sod's Law then came along and completely killed my hosting package, so I had to move to a new server which ironically runs the latest IPB. Never mind, I'm still planning the switch and have got my staff excited in it as well (quite the achievement).

Isn't that what the forum-only option from IPB provides? No blog, gallery, etc. unless you get those add-ons? :confused:

Isn't that what the forum-only option from IPB provides? No blog, gallery, etc. unless you get those add-ons? :confused:

Yes, instead of just picking on one sentence of it I also said IPB was completely bloated. By that, I mean many of the options are hidden away within the package and are probably tapped by just a handful of the users. Even I struggle to find options nowadays within the Admin and User panels because more and more things have been bolted on to it.

Using 3.1.2 and not suffered any mither with it.

Interesting times as XF is heading for release, IPB 3.1.3 and Nexus are due out next month and vB 4.1 will probably arrive before the year is out.

XF interests me and with not liking the default theme much (bit pastel gay) and the way posts seem to merge together due to the lack of a separator bar it may be that seeing what other do with it will win me over.

Using 3.1.2 and not suffered any mither with it.

Interesting times as XF is heading for release, IPB 3.1.3 and Nexus are due out next month and vB 4.1 will probably arrive before the year is out.

XF interests me and with not liking the default theme much (bit pastel gay) and the way posts seem to merge together due to the lack of a separator bar it may be that seeing what other do with it will win me over.
Can be modified with simple style edits though. Don't know how technical you are, but...

In the stylesheet:
Code:
.messageList, .message {
border-bottom: 1px solid #D7EDFC;
padding-bottom: 30px;
padding-top: 10px;
}

Edit the border-bottom property (now 1px) to edit the size of the seperator. Or the #D7EDFC to change the color. I'd be more than willing to help you out with that part once XF gets released (for free, 'course) ;)
As for not liking the default theme much, well, resisting the urge to yell "hire me & I'll make you a new one", style properties should make it fairly easy to edit basic stuff. Plus, there should be plenty of fancy themes in no time ;)

I'm running two IPB 3.1.2 boards now, started another one up only yesterday making the total count two. I like IPB, however the only problems I have with it are on the back end, in terms of usability for the end user, it works as well as the next software.

I have 3.1.x and am not ready to move any of our sites soon. They use too many of the additional features. It's an excellent piece of software for what it is. XF is not IPB and comparisons are ridiculous. XF right now seems to do what the point of most forums are - do foruming well (coining a new word) - the extras are necessary for some boards.

IPB3 license holder here (2x licenses) and can't switch to XF until they have something to replace IP.Content.

Although I like the IPB guys, I felt very at home with VB3 and Kier and Mike on the dev team. That's what sways me, as well as it being a great forum system. So I would like to switch when possible, it just depends if an article system/front page/cms appears. Doesn't need to be too complex, just something with which we can blog, post articles, news and it all be summarized on a front page.

Top Bottom