XF 2.1 Any ideas on recurring errors (E_NOTICE, Zend\Feed\Writer\Renderer)

haqzore

• Version of XenForo: 2.1.7
  • Add-ons: [TH] Holidays, Country Flags by IP Address, DragonByte Favicons, DragonByte Member Map, Mentions Mini Avatar (RIP), s9e/MediaSites, Bobs Showcase, Official Galler & RM
  • Any outdated templates or phrases: No
  • Custom styles in use: PixelExit Core
  • Errors in the ACP server error log: Below

So for a while now, I've been generating a TON of errors in the Server error log of the ACP.
I cannot remember making any changes myself to start them - but - maybe I did?

Here are some samples:

Code:
TypeError: Argument 1 passed to Zend\Feed\Writer\Renderer\AbstractRenderer::setRootElement() must be an instance of DOMElement, null given, called in /home/abcdefg/public_html/src/vendor/zendframework/zend-feed/src/Writer/Renderer/Feed/Rss.php on line 85 src/vendor/zendframework/zend-feed/src/Writer/Renderer/AbstractRenderer.php:198
Generated by: Unknown account Mar 2, 2020 at 10:28 PM
Stack trace
#0 src/vendor/zendframework/zend-feed/src/Writer/Renderer/Feed/Rss.php(85): Zend\Feed\Writer\Renderer\AbstractRenderer->setRootElement(NULL)
#1 src/vendor/zendframework/zend-feed/src/Writer/Feed.php(238): Zend\Feed\Writer\Renderer\Feed\Rss->render()
#2 src/XF/Pub/View/Forum/Rss.php(112): Zend\Feed\Writer\Feed->export('Rss', true)
#3 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/AbstractRenderer.php(91): XF\Pub\View\Forum\Rss->renderRss()
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Xml.php(74): XF\Mvc\Renderer\AbstractRenderer->renderViewObject('XF:Forum\\Rss', '', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(458): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Xml->renderView('XF:Forum\\Rss', '', Array)
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(440): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Rss), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Rss), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(58): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'rss')
#9 src/XF/App.php(2184): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#10 src/XF.php(391): XF\App->run()
#11 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#12 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(19) "/forums/-/index.rss"
  ["referrer"] => bool(false)
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Code:
ErrorException: [E_NOTICE] Undefined property: DOMDocument::$documentElement src/vendor/zendframework/zend-feed/src/Writer/Renderer/Feed/Rss.php:85
Generated by: Unknown account Mar 2, 2020 at 10:28 PM
Stack trace
#0 src/vendor/zendframework/zend-feed/src/Writer/Renderer/Feed/Rss.php(85): XF::handlePhpError(8, '[E_NOTICE] Unde...', '/home/abcdefg/...', 85, Array)
#1 src/vendor/zendframework/zend-feed/src/Writer/Feed.php(238): Zend\Feed\Writer\Renderer\Feed\Rss->render()
#2 src/XF/Pub/View/Forum/Rss.php(112): Zend\Feed\Writer\Feed->export('Rss', true)
#3 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/AbstractRenderer.php(91): XF\Pub\View\Forum\Rss->renderRss()
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Xml.php(74): XF\Mvc\Renderer\AbstractRenderer->renderViewObject('XF:Forum\\Rss', '', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(458): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Xml->renderView('XF:Forum\\Rss', '', Array)
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(440): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Rss), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Rss), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(58): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'rss')
#9 src/XF/App.php(2184): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#10 src/XF.php(391): XF\App->run()
#11 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#12 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(19) "/forums/-/index.rss"
  ["referrer"] => bool(false)
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

My installation is generating hundreds of these an hour.
Everything seems to be working fine on the front end.
I have no user complaints.
Disabling all add-ons & using default style does not alleviate the errors.

Per a support ticket:
We're of the opinion it's a low level PHP configuration issue - it looks like the errors are coming from the underlying PHP objects.
Possibly related to the XML libraries (libxml).

That would tie in with the fact that unfurling isn't working, as that can use the XML libraries.
This is something your sysadmin or host is going to have to investigate as it's a server level issue and outside XF.

The issue is, the support for my host shows no errors on their logs, so had no ideas to help.
It is Shared hosting - but It's worked perfectly for many years.

Wondering if anyone here has any thoughts or ideas?

Yes, I already checked the server met the requirements (when dealing with the ticket).

You would have had errors when attempting to install/use XF if that was the case.

It has to be something really low level for the type of errors you're seeing.

Recompiling PHP and restarting may solve it, if it's some sort of low level corruption.

Yes, I already checked the server met the requirements (when dealing with the ticket).

You would have had errors when attempting to install/use XF if that was the case.

It has to be something really low level for the type of errors you're seeing.

Recompiling PHP and restarting may solve it, if it's some sort of low level corruption.
Thanks sir - I assumed that, but really have no intelligence/idea with server things...

Another FYI from TAZ, in case it helps:

Check your configure command in PHP as well - I just recently had a client that had --disable-dom and all sorts of other disables that caused issues, even though the requirements chcker showed these extensions were present.

And my results (I think?):
Capture.webp

I just discussed it with Mike and he said it's unlikely to be the disabled functions as a different error would be generated.
It's likely that DOM support has been compiled in via a separate .so file.

if you have the ability to switch to a different (newer) PHP version then try that - the compilation difference may change things.

I just discussed it with Mike and he said it's unlikely to be the disabled functions as a different error would be generated.
It's likely that DOM support has been compiled in via a separate .so file.

if you have the ability to switch to a different (newer) PHP version then try that - the compilation difference may change things.
Thanks sir.

Just switched to 7.4 & cleared the ACP server error log. I'll update with what happens as soon as possible.

Top Bottom