Any Glaring Issue For vB Conversion?

EFXDesign

Hi Everyone.

We are just about ready to commit to Xenforo. We have been running a vB forum since 2003 and are currently at Ver. 3.8.8 and PHP ver. 5.4

I recently removed VBadvanced (all traces I believe) and other mods are very minimal other than the style.

OTHER than the requirement to run higher versions of PHP, etc., is there anything glaring about the forum(s) structure that would cause concerns? That is, vis-a-vis XF node categories, forums, children, siblings? Is there any restructing I should do before conversion?

This is a a clone I made recently of the production board. HERE

Thanks in advance. Regards....... Frank

Hi Everyone.

We are just about ready to commit to Xenforo. We have been running a vB forum since 2003 and are currently at Ver. 3.8.8 and PHP ver. 5.4

I recently removed VBadvanced (all traces I believe) and other mods are very minimal other than the style.

OTHER than the requirement to run higher versions of PHP, etc., is there anything glaring about the forum(s) structure that would cause concerns? That is, vis-a-vis XF node categories, forums, children, siblings? Is there any restructing I should do before conversion?

This is a a clone I made recently of the production board. HERE

Thanks in advance. Regards....... Frank
Be careful this test forum is visible for search engines (you don't have a robots.txt file) so Google may find you have duplicated content and hurt your ranking

Thank you Claudio and Rob.

Rob, not sure I understand this though. This is during the conversion process? (using the appropriate converter)

Redirects from VB to XF (you need to tick the box when doing the upgrade to keep the IDs that allow mapping from old to new threads).

Thank you Claudio and Rob.

Rob, not sure I understand this though. This is during the conversion process? (using the appropriate converter)

Yep. During the conversion, if you retain the content IDs, there's an official addon that will redirect the threads automatically (and so maintain all your SEO links). You can't go back and do it later so it needs to be done during the upgrade/conversion.

Mr L, what was the issue? Didn't convert and you had to start over? Or?

The converter works against the production database correct? (versus a backup or whatever) And imports into a new database for XF?

Check all the logs that prune and their settings and if you keep them longer be sure to change those setting in you XF before import. One issue I had was post edit history. It will prune in XF and I kept it in vB. Anything that prunes I would double check or you will lose it and not know why.

bf, you're referring to comparing the "scheduled task log" settings in VB with the default settings in XF at first install?

I have never touched Prune Post Edit History Manager in vb

Last edited:
Follow this, and look over your test real good. Then just do it! ;)

Top Bottom