Anti-Spammer Suggestion

petertdavis

The homepage field on member profiles is a spam magnet. It's like rotting meat for maggots, the SEO agencies pounce on our forums to get their links. I would like to see this field eliminated, or at least easily turned off. Most forums don't need it. It would really be an awesome addition, or in the case a subtraction, to the features offered in Xenforo.

Thanks!

Upvote 9
I know this is a bit old....but I've got a forum I'm working with...and we get what looks like real members...0 posts...but they are populating the site field.

Any chance of having this looked at...or maybe an option to turn off?

I would love to be able to disable this as well, I've currently got a template edit to stop people with less then 10 posts being able to edit it.

it does not matter if you have that Homepage-field or not.
If you do not have this field, the spammers will just put their link into their forum-post itself. This then looks even more like spam and clutters your forum.

If you do not have this field, the spammers will just put their link into their forum-post itself. This then looks even more like spam and clutters your forum.

bots dont think on their own.

But that's easier to spot and deal with.

Not at all. Spam into the forum posts gets caught by the moderators very quickly.

Ideally, this would be a permission setting, along with other fields that are spamable. Then, using the group promotion feature, after so many posts, likes, or whatever are made, they will be promoted to a group with more privileges. Forum posts are easy to spot and handle. Profile fields are not so easy, although, some things do show up in the recent activity feed and such.

Not at all. Spam into the forum posts gets caught by the moderators very quickly.

are you saying discovering spam-links from a spammer in several forum-posts and at several user-profiles, you will discover quicker than checking a single field named "Homepage" ? o_O

are you saying discovering spam-links from a spammer in several forum-posts and at several user-profiles, you will discover quicker than checking a single field named "Homepage" ? o_O
Maybe, because people almost never check the HomePage field.
Whereas people are often reading the forum.
I have read probably 100,000 posts here.
I looked at the Homepage field maybe twice.
I don't often look at User Profiles.

Not exactly. I'm saying that my moderators will. For the most part, the moderators look at posts. Members report posts. On my forums that kind of stuff is gone mostly before I even get to it. It's the user profiles that stick, and the SEO agencies that post it know that, and that's why they create user accounts on forums and don't post.

Top Bottom