annual renewals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakefire

I understand XenForo has annual renewals. Can someone explain what that is exactly? I have an idea but I want to make sure I am understanding it correctly.

You get one year of included updates to the software. (also ticket based support)

At the end of the purchase year (i.e. 7/30/12 - 7/30/13), you no longer get regular product updates and no ticket support. You can pay the $40 (at anytime) to get access to the latest updates and ticket support.

Regardless of the $40, you will always have access to the Xenforo.com forum and related customer areas.

Example:

You buy XF now and get version 1.1.3 -- any updates until 7/30/13 (v1.2, etc), you will get. Updates after 7/30/13, you will not get unless you pay the $40 for the renewal.

Personally i don't like this kind of support license, because it's quite a gamble with the motivation of the company to produce updates. It's the only thing where i prefer vBulletin.

Personally i don't like this kind of support license, because it's quite a gamble with the motivation of the company to produce updates. It's the only thing where i prefer vBulletin.

It's not really a gamble when you choose when you want to upgrade. I personally bought the day the presale was out for the discount, and when it came to renewing earlier this year I chose not too. Even with 1.1.3 came out I chose not to renew for the sheer fact that I'd prefer not to waste my money on a patch that doesn't effect my board what so ever.

I still support XenForo, help out users with questions but I'm not a charity. I'm not going to renew when I don't see development that benefits me, once KMA come out with 1.2 I'll gladly renew my license.

Sorry for the rant, in the end, how's it a gamble when you're not forced to renew at the time of your license expiring, and you're not penalized for renewing late.

It's not really a gamble when you choose when you want to upgrade. I personally bought the day the presale was out for the discount, and when it came to renewing earlier this year I chose not too. Even with 1.1.3 came out I chose not to renew for the sheer fact that I'd prefer not to waste my money on a patch that doesn't effect my board what so ever.

I still support XenForo, help out users with questions but I'm not a charity. I'm not going to renew when I don't see development that benefits me, once KMA come out with 1.2 I'll gladly renew my license.

Sorry for the rant, in the end, how's it a gamble when you're not forced to renew at the time of your license expiring, and you're not penalized for renewing late.
Thanks, thats exactly what I plan to do if/when I get a XenForo license.

I understand that i will get all current updates at the time of my renewal. But how much will be released after that is still a "gamble", since it could be ten or, well, none.

But that's no reason to "rant", since i'll also just wait until 1.2 is released. I'm just saying the license could be a tad more customer-friendly. That's all.

You're going to be disappointed.

vBulletin is also switching to this kind of license on their vBulletin 5 release. It will either be 1x a year as it is here or 2x a years (once every 6 month).

The path is simple, if you don't feel a company is living up to your desire, don't renew. You can always renew later when you feel they are living up to your desire.

I understand that i will get all current updates at the time of my renewal. But how much will be released after that is still a "gamble", since it could be ten or, well, none.

But that's no reason to "rant", since i'll also just wait until 1.2 is released. I'm just saying the license could be a tad more customer-friendly. That's all.
Because vBulletin didn't have such a license ... Internet Brands didn't see a strong reason to invest further into vBulletin. That is why development on vBulletin 4 stayed to almost a stand still for 2 years .... Only recently have they changed that as they reach closer to vBulletin 5.

You're going to be disappointed.

vBulletin is also switching to this kind of license on their vBulletin 5 release. It will either be 1x a year as it is here or 2x a years (once every 6 month).

The path is simple, if you don't feel a company is living up to your desire, don't renew. You can always renew later when you feel they are living up to your desire.
Really, after the big oh ar when they changed it last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom