1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

annual renewals?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Blakefire, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakefire

Blakefire Active Member

I understand XenForo has annual renewals. Can someone explain what that is exactly? I have an idea but I want to make sure I am understanding it correctly.

2. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

You get one year of included updates to the software. (also ticket based support)

At the end of the purchase year (i.e. 7/30/12 - 7/30/13), you no longer get regular product updates and no ticket support. You can pay the $40 (at anytime) to get access to the latest updates and ticket support.

Regardless of the $40, you will always have access to the Xenforo.com forum and related customer areas.

Example:

You buy XF now and get version 1.1.3 -- any updates until 7/30/13 (v1.2, etc), you will get. Updates after 7/30/13, you will not get unless you pay the $40 for the renewal.

3. Blakefire

Blakefire Active Member

Thanks.

4. Sparkiller

Sparkiller Member

Personally i don't like this kind of support license, because it's quite a gamble with the motivation of the company to produce updates. It's the only thing where i prefer vBulletin.

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It's not really a gamble when you choose when you want to upgrade. I personally bought the day the presale was out for the discount, and when it came to renewing earlier this year I chose not too. Even with 1.1.3 came out I chose not to renew for the sheer fact that I'd prefer not to waste my money on a patch that doesn't effect my board what so ever.

I still support XenForo, help out users with questions but I'm not a charity. I'm not going to renew when I don't see development that benefits me, once KMA come out with 1.2 I'll gladly renew my license.

Sorry for the rant, in the end, how's it a gamble when you're not forced to renew at the time of your license expiring, and you're not penalized for renewing late.

6. Blakefire

Blakefire Active Member

Thanks, thats exactly what I plan to do if/when I get a XenForo license.

7. Blakefire

Blakefire Active Member

One other question. If I pay the 40 after the first year, does that cover it for another year?

8. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Yes.

9. Sparkiller

Sparkiller Member

I understand that i will get all current updates at the time of my renewal. But how much will be released after that is still a "gamble", since it could be ten or, well, none.

But that's no reason to "rant", since i'll also just wait until 1.2 is released. I'm just saying the license could be a tad more customer-friendly. That's all.

10. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

You're going to be disappointed.

vBulletin is also switching to this kind of license on their vBulletin 5 release. It will either be 1x a year as it is here or 2x a years (once every 6 month).

The path is simple, if you don't feel a company is living up to your desire, don't renew. You can always renew later when you feel they are living up to your desire.

11. Adam Howard

Because vBulletin didn't have such a license ... Internet Brands didn't see a strong reason to invest further into vBulletin. That is why development on vBulletin 4 stayed to almost a stand still for 2 years .... Only recently have they changed that as they reach closer to vBulletin 5.

12. akia

akia Well-Known Member

Really, after the big oh ar when they changed it last time.

13. Adam Howard

Internet Brands / vBulletin is a poorly managed company.

I often ponder if they ever know what they are doing.

But let's not bring this topic any further off topic. ......

14. Adam Howard

Mark.B to the rescue

troll-army.jpg

It has been mentioned by their staff, including their lead developer.

WAIT... Let me guess your reply....

Everything else mentioned has come to pass.

If you say so, Mark.B :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.