Not a bug Animated GIF is become a static GIF when attached

Kevin

Affected version
XF 2.1 (as currently running on XF.com)
This is a follow-up addendum to https://xenforo.com/community/threa...n-toggle-bb-code-is-used.156294/#post-1297217. In that thread I attached an animated GIF created using LICEcap on my Win10 machine, something I've done many times in the past with no issue. This time though the animated GIF seems to be either getting converted to a static GIF or is being suppressed from being animated.

Any thoughts why? Trying with a different random animated GIF gives different results.

Attachments

• snoopy.gif
    snoopy.gif
    964.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Editor Single Space Emoji.zip
    Editor Single Space Emoji.zip
    701.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Editor Single Space Emoji.gif
    Editor Single Space Emoji.gif
    51.4 KB · Views: 18
We aren't using Imagick here, so if the image is resized, the animation won't be maintained. That's what happened in that thread.

We aren't using Imagick here, so if the image is resized, the animation won't be maintained. That's what happened in that thread.
Thanks for the info. :) Time to start defaulting to ImageMagick if it is detected as being available. :D

There's actually an argument for making ImageMagick behave the same. If you resize a GIF then you have to take each frame of the image, and resize each frame individually.

Imagick is better with memory so its impact isn't as great, but if it's a 1000 frame GIF being resized and, worse, it has very large dimensions, then there aren't many good scenarios there.

There's actually an argument for making ImageMagick behave the same. If you resize a GIF then you have to take each frame of the image, and resize each frame individually.

Imagick is better with memory so its impact isn't as great, but if it's a 1000 frame GIF being resized and, worse, it has very large dimensions, then there aren't many good scenarios there.
To avoid user confusion I'd think most admins would prefer ImageMagick handling it or, if an animated gif going to get resized, then some type of indicator so that the user is alerted to why their animated gif is no longer going to be animated.

Top Bottom