Animated avatars with Imagick not working

Yashua

Imagick installed and i have xenforo setup to use it Imagick instead of GD image library but animated GIF avatars on my forum are still not showing up animated? who do :(
I took a screenshot of Imagick in my phpinfo()
dc700860dd09c828174f634b86c6a135.png

Attachments

• dc700860dd09c828174f634b86c6a135.webp
    dc700860dd09c828174f634b86c6a135.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 5
Okay, well here's the problem: The large version of the avatar is animating correctly; however the medium and small versions are not!

Anyone seen this before and know what the fix is? Possibly an issue with imagick?

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I'm also having issues with medium and small versions not animated. Is there a resolution to this? Is it a bug?

Ok I finally solved this annoying issue. Since I'm using cPanel/WHM on CentOS 6.4, this is what I did:
  1. Remove existing ImageMagick packages.
    yum remove ImageMagick
  2. Remove existing PECL imagick package.
    pecl uninstall imagick
  3. Download latest ImageMagick source. Latest is ImageMagick 6.8.6-9 at the time of posting.
    wget http://www.imagemagick.org/download/ImageMagick.tar.gz
  4. Extract tarball.
    tar zxvf ImageMagick.tar.gz
  5. Compile and install.
    cd ImageMagick-6.8.6-9
    ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install
  6. Configure the dynamic linker run-time bindings
    ldconfig /usr/bin
  7. Install latest version of PECL imagick package. Latest is imagick 3.1.0 (RC3) at the time of posting.
    pear config-set preferred_state beta
    pecl install imagick
    pear config-set preferred_state stable
Now check if imagick loaded correctly in php --info. Then try uploading an animated image and you should no longer get that error.

Ok I finally solved this annoying issue. Since I'm using cPanel/WHM on CentOS 6.4, this is what I did:
    yum remove ImageMagick
    pecl uninstall imagick
  3. Download latest ImageMagick source. Latest is ImageMagick 6.8.6-9 at the time of posting.
  4. Extract tarball.
  5. Compile and install.
    cd ImageMagick-6.8.6-9
    ldconfig /usr/bin
  7. Install latest version of PECL imagick package. Latest is imagick 3.1.0 (RC3) at the time of posting.
    pecl install imagick
Now check if imagick loaded correctly in php --info. Then try uploading an animated image and you should no longer get that error.

Worked perfectly - I couldn't get anything to work after a server move until I tried what you suggested. That should be added to the RM or something so others can make use of it. ;)

Thanks

yum remove ImageMagick
    pecl uninstall imagick
  4. Extract tarball.
  5. Compile and install.
    cd ImageMagick-6.8.6-9
    ldconfig /usr/bin
    pecl install imagick

Ok despite my "fix", I just encountered the upload error AGAIN! However this time I switched to Apache from LiteSpeed. Using Apache, I had no issues uploading, whereas LiteSpeed did. Disabling and enabling suExec in LS didn't help. Time to take a deep look in the configs.

Finally fixed my uploading issues! I had to recompile ImageMagick with the --disable-openmp flag, but that's only if I'm using LiteSpeed. No issues with Apache however. If you can't recompile ImageMagick, articles on the net are saying that you need to put the putenv("MAGICK_THREAD_LIMIT=1"); somewhere. I found this solution since my stderr.log file is saying:

libgomp: Thread creation failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

whenever I upload this certain jpeg. I didn't test that putenv part since I went to the recompiling route.

yum remove ImageMagick
    pecl uninstall imagick
  4. Extract tarball.
  5. Compile and install.
    cd ImageMagick-6.8.6-9
    ldconfig /usr/bin
    pecl install imagick
It works absolutely perfect!
thank you so much!!!!!
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

It works absolutely perfect!
thank you so much!!!!!
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Interesting, I had to do the same thing - just uninstalling and reinstalling ImageMagick through yum didn't work. Downloading the source did, though.

Anyway, thanks @DJ XtAzY and if anyone else has the issue where the size Large avatars are animating but other sizes are not, try those steps!

I trie
    yum remove ImageMagick
    pecl uninstall imagick
  4. Extract tarball.
  5. Compile and install.
    cd ImageMagick-6.8.6-9
    ldconfig /usr/bin
    pecl install imagick
I tried this method and i'm still having issues. Very few uploaded gifs actually work for me. Most just time out after 30 seconds and give me an error in the logs.

I just don't understand why this is such a difficult task with XF. Other message board platforms seem to be able to do this with ease. As of now it doesn't make since for me to have this feature on the forum since anybody who tries to upload a animated gif as an avatar will most likely be unable to.

Top Bottom