And USPS wonders why it loses money?

TPerry

Is it any wonder... yesterday (the 14th) it showed a 09/15 delivery date - Tuesday.
Now, it shows yesterday as an updated delivery date and the tracking info shows it's still in Coppell, TX - which is about 134 miles away and is NOT what I would call a destination facility as we have a fairly large Post Office complex locally. I've come to the conclusion their tracking sucks - typical "governmental attitude" of "Well, if it's within a few days it's good enough". I've been spoiled to UPS and FedEx... at least their updates are timely and pretty much accurate - but they have a reason to be accurate as their business model depends on it. The USPS is apparently a tad more relaxed.

usps_delivery.webp

Must be related to the Canadian Postal service. Since they decided to replace door-to-door mail delivery with community super boxes some of my mail started to go missing. The strange part is in my area we never had mail delivered to our civic address, always the post office box.

I had a parcel delivered from the States a couple of months ago, by UPS. Their tracking was bang on, and it was delivered on the date I was told when I purchased the item.

USPS is woefully bad, entering into incompetent when trying to deliver the mail. The only thing that seems to be done well is junk mail.

Have had packages spend an extra day or two in Orlando before getting into the distribution center in Tampa then to the local office. It's much worse when Amazon switch to them for a lot of the smaller orders. Its a crap shoot if it arrives within the scheduled time.

We don't order a lot. Probably order stuff on Amazon a few times a year (my birthday, Christmas, and misc. stuff); of the times we used UPS, we've never had problems. Although there was one time where something weird happened, but it wasn't a big deal. Shortly after Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus was released, we ordered it, and on the day of or the day before the delivery, the ETA changed to a week later, but guess what? Still got it that day.

We just go with USPS most of the time, though, because UPS costs more.

In my area, USPS is far superior to UPS.

With UPS, it could take a package 2 days to get from the sender to me. But if I don't pay for the faster shipping options, they will hold my package for 3 days in their storehouses before dropping it at my front door.

With USPS, that doesn't happen. The NewEgg distribution center is about 3 miles from my house. When I order something from newegg (and I dont feel like picking it up in person), I pay for the slowest shipping, but it still shows up at my door the next day.

USPS is my favorite major shipper. Fast and generally efficient. It really comes down to the people making deliveries most of the time- not the company they work for. Have had good and bad from all different companies.

USPS is my favorite major shipper. Fast and generally efficient. It really comes down to the people making deliveries most of the time- not the company they work for. Have had good and bad from all different companies.
I don't really see where the "people making deliveries" has anything to do with the issue in the graphic. That's a back end related issue in which their software can't figure out if it's coming or going. :D
The package did end up being delivered yesterday (when it was originally showing as to be delivered and not the day before). I know that it's cheaper in a lot of cases for UPS/FedEx to receive the package, then use USPS to ship, as detailed here. Usually that's for the non time sensitive deliveries... and once the package enters the USPS system - the delivery tracking with UPS goes to hell in a hand basket - but that is usually only the last leg (out for delivery).

I just realized earlier we were talking about USPS, not UPS. Oops.

The same applies, though. We've never had issues with them.

Here's another classic tracking package case of the USPS. Goes from Richardson, TX to Palestine, out for deliverey at 10:46AM and then at 2:08PM it's back in Richardson enroute to destination? With a delivery date for today.. yeah, right.

funnyusps.webp

Sometimes tracking gets screwed up as well and it's not fully accurate.
Well, it's pretty bad when you go into the local PO and ask about it and they tell you - yeah, it's on the truck for delivery .... uh, no it's not because I met the mailman at his vehicle and specifically asked about it.. so if it's out for delivery - it's out somewhere else, which is another problem.

I recently ordered from cellphonecases.com... Was suppose to be DHL, Well it switched to USPS in St Louis.. Also coming from California, why send it to St Louis first, the other side of the state. Also delivery date was set for the 14th.. hmmm could that be it wasn't suppose to be handed off to DHL?

DHL.webp

Yeah, mail's weird like that.

If we send something to a family member or friend in our city, it goes to Yakima and then comes back to Ellensburg.

In fairness, USPS completes a lot of 'last mile' deliveries that are delayed due to a 3rd parties. Amazon is a notorious culprit of cheating prime users and blaming USPS.

No, it's Amazon Inc... they fulfill Prime shipping.

Amazon marks as shipped when it leaves the warehouse, but sometimes it's only handed off to a private courier. If the courier doesn't get it to USPS by the cutoff time, it is guaranteed to miss 2 day. The end customer will only see that USPS didn't deliver on time.

Slightly off topic: For what it's worth, if Amazon misses their Prime delivery promise, you can contact customer service and they will extend your Prime membership by one month, up to 12 times a year. (This is only good for purchases fulfilled by Amazon and shipped via Prime Shipping).

Never had any real issue with USPS. Though most of the time, I just use UPS or FedEx because I often buy things off Prime or other online sites that use those services.

Never had any real issue with USPS. Though most of the time, I just use UPS or FedEx because I often buy things off Prime or other online sites that use those services.
If I'm not mistaken, Prime uses USPS also for some of the smaller items.

Slightly off topic: For what it's worth, if Amazon misses their Prime delivery promise, you can contact customer service and they will extend your Prime membership by one month, up to 12 times a year. (This is only good for purchases fulfilled by Amazon and shipped via Prime Shipping).

LOL! I just successfully did this. I grumbled about missing 2 day but never went through the trouble of lodging a complaint before.

Top Bottom