XF 1.3 An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.

Harry D

Hello,

I'm a new customer to Xenforo and have recently installed the software for my website. However, I have been suffering from intermittent database errors.

I usually experience a blank page with the text:
An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.

I have contacted my host provider (Dreamhost), but they assured me that everything looked stable and I haven't been hitting any usage limits, which I should hope so, too, since my site barely has any traffic at the moment.

Taking it upon myself to unearth the problem, I granted myself SFTP privileges and opened my latest error log, where I found the line:
[Sun Jun 15 03:46:52 2014] [error] [client 141.8.147.23] File does not exist: /home/username/mywebsite.com/robots.txt

I reported this to Dreamhost but they simply stated that this isn't related to database errors, and since the majority of sites out there don't contain a robots.txt file, this shouldn't be causing the issue. But that's the only thing coming up in my error log, so if they don't have a clue what's causing the fault, I sure as hell don't!

Thanks,

Hello Brogan,

I take it that I will have to extend the table_definition_cache and table_open_cache values? Is that something I can do myself or I will need to contact my host provider?

Thanks,

You can try that but it's not guaranteed to work.
If you don't know how to do it, your host should be able to help.

I spoke to my host, and they said they're unable to do this as it's a shared server and I will need to purchase a private MySQL server.
Even if I could afford this (and I can't), you've admitted that it wouldn't necessarily resolve the issue.
This seems to be a design flaw with Xenforo. I've never had this problem with vBulletin.

When I was with DreamHost I got this error on occasions, interesting to know it was down to their setup of MySQL.

I no longer have the right problem and I have much better hosting with Nimbus Hosting. :)

This seems to be a design flaw with Xenforo. I've never had this problem with vBulletin.
I don't consider it a design "flaw" as much as a difference in the coding. Apparently your host has limitations on it's mySQL server (looks like @Martok suffered the same problem with them) which indicates to me it is actually a host problem (maybe running an older version of mySQL). That happens with a lot of shared hosts as they don't want to update what works (for the majority of people).

Your choice is to find another host that does work (and most do) or revert to your old software.
Personally I'd be looking at another host.

I don't consider it a design "flaw" as much as a difference in the coding. Apparently your host has limitations on it's mySQL server (looks like @Martok suffered the same problem with them) which indicates to me it is actually a host problem (maybe running an older version of mySQL). That happens with a lot of shared hosts as they don't want to update what works (for the majority of people).

Your choice is to find another host that does work (and most do) or revert to your old software.
Personally I'd be looking at another host.

Yes, it does look that way.

Although Nimbus Hosting are too pricey for me at £20 p/month.

What about MDD Hosting? Are they Xenforo compatible?

Top Bottom