An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.

cdub

I'm getting this error on my server:

An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.

<!-- Too many connections -->

When I view source I get the above? Know what's causing this?

http://www.studentfilms.com/index.php

I'm going to contact my host to see if they can restart a service for me.

Hmmm... I'll have to check on how often it's happening to see if and when I need to upgrade servers. Thanks for all your help guys. XenForo support rocks!

We've had this happen twice and the forum is still in pre-release testing with only 100 members. So if it's a real issue then goodness knows what will happen when we go live.

Is it possible that connections could 'leak' rather like memory did under Windows XP, ie they aren't being closed down when they should be? Or do they eventually time-out and close themselves down?

The only add-on we're currently using is Post Ratings - taking likes to the next level. I use Navicat to run queries. We're on a shared server (Fasthosts), so no hope of changing the settings.

Any thoughts?

This is a typical problem with shared hosting.

You will need to upgrade to a better package/server, be that shared, VPS or dedicated.

Or try a different host.

This is a typical problem with shared hosting.

You will need to upgrade to a better package/server, be that shared, VPS or dedicated.

Or try a different host.
Thanks - how do I know how many MySQL connections will be sufficient? When we go live we could easily have 50 times as many people on the site at any one time as we do at the moment - does that mean that if we currently have 100 connections we will need 5000?

A trial-and-error solution could be costly, time-consuming, and damaging for the reputation of the forum.

I submitted a ticket to hostgator - yes I'm on shared hosting.

My site is currently on HostGator Shared Hosting (until Friday when I dump them) and we're hitting a hard limit (25) on running processes which is what is giving us our current performance issues. Just in case that helps you (you can see the processes count on the HG cPanel down the left-hand column).

Yeah - I just checked - I'm certainly not at that point yet. Have you thought to switching to their VPS?

No, their VPS seems a little costly for my tastes - I'm moving to Dreamhost (where I have other sites) and using their VPS offering if I need to (DH limit their shared hosting by memory used, and not processes).

Top Bottom