1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented An option to stop posts in a given forum from counting towards post count

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Luke F, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

This feature was quite handy in vBulletin, especially for spam sections etc. - would be nice to see it in XenForo.

ravenge, Saeed, CapnLuffy and 45 others like this.
  2. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I think this is a fantastic Idea.

3. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Yes, I would need this for private forums which we purge from time to time. It makes sense to not count post in these.

4. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Is it possible in XF to not count post toward the user's total post count?
    It's possible in VB in the Forum manager.
    Thanks

EDIT: Appears not so I'd like to make suggestion for option to make posts under certain forums not be counted towards user's total post counts.

Alien, Ruone Delacroix, Rudy and 13 others like this.
  5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Nope. That would be a good suggestion.

Michael Dance and Andy.N like this.
  6. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jake.
    Can a mod move this to the Suggestion forum, please.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Merged with an earlier suggestion.

Ruone Delacroix and Andy.N like this.
  8. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Dont know if that has been requested yet but, I read in a post that the next release would be rc.. so this should something that should be implemented. Because its annoying when members on my forum try to increase their post count in the Off topic forums. Should be something simple to implement.

Alien, Ruone Delacroix and Vincent like this.
  9. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Why are you posting this in Pre-Sales & Feedback? xD

10. Brogan

Moved to suggestions.

I seem to recall this being mentioned previously, I'll see if I can find the thread/post.

Vincent likes this.
  11. Brogan

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

I would have posted it there, but I cant because I dont have the permissions to create a thread there. Looks like they removed the thread posting permissions there.

13. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

In my opinion, something like this shouldn't be part of the core files/updates. An add on maybe?

While I understand your point about members running up their post count, as long as it's within the rules of your site, and they are offering you something useful in that category (off topic) why penalize the members?

Jamie

14. Brogan

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed so I've flagged this to Mike/Kier on the off-chance that a recent change has affected something.

Kaiser likes this.
  15. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

One reason for this feature is that a lot of us on the staff make a lot of behind-the-scenes posts in our staff area. I realized on my oldest forum (started in 1997), I probably made 25% of my posts in the staff area.

That and "game" threads are fun, but hardly contribute to the main topic of the forum. We've excluded those types of forum areas as well.

16. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Hope to see this feature appears in near future. Please like first post if you like this.

17. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Hope this getting implemented in the next release. Please support by liking the first post.

18. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

This feature is one of the few things I still miss from vBulletin - would love to see it implemented :)

19. Brogan

I just realised that Darkimmortal originally posted this suggestion so I have merged a later thread with it.

As a consequence, later posts now have more likes than the first post.

You know what to do people ;)

Ruone Delacroix likes this.
  20. I'm quite surprised that this isn't already available. But that's perfectly acceptable because of the quality of the software already. Brown nosing aside, I wholeheartedly support this idea. Especially for forum game sections.