an interesting case about nissan.com

http://www.digest.com/Big_Story.php

Uzi Nissan won, though only got compensated approx 2% of overall legal costs to defend. Nissan motor company are now trying to enter the computer market with their name and take him on again...

Long story short, the moral is that the big companies are trying to squeeze out the little companies with $$$ and bankruptcy defending oneself in useless claims even though they know they are wrong. If you are bankrupt, then all your trading names and associated ownerships become for sale from receivers, thus they get a bite at the cherry directly with the receivers to purchase what they always wanted.

Yeah, this case has been going on for years. And with no end is sight. I think it's another deal with corporate is trying to shank the little guy out of something they rightfully own.

It's a shame that big corporations have to be so corrupt. It was obvious from the start that they had no right to claim anything. If anything they should have offered these folks some cash for their name and websites and so on. But instead they thought they could just take it from them.

Needless to say i will never own a nissan car ever.

For a supposed computer guy he has a very crap website, obviously not updated since 1994 >_< he has ads on there for all sorts of unrelated crap, it is quite obviously not a genuine site for a computer retail store.

Nissan should have offered him money for the names in the first place. However...

I am not at all convinced of this guys "innocence" myself, without having heard all of the evidence of course, but his story reads just a little too much like he has tried to be clever (the fact it was his own last name probably made him think he would get away with it) and failed, Nissan cars have been known as Nissan not Datsun since the early 1980's how could someone who proportedly was in the motor sales business NOT know that in 1991 when he first registered the name. *suspicious* - I am amazed it took Nissan until 1999 to try to get the name though.

I know someone who tried this with a major company, it failed miserably, but they weren't stupid enough to try to fight it.. they surrendered after a certain amount of legal strong arming.

For a supposed computer guy he has a very crap website, obviously not updated since 1994 >_< he has ads on there for all sorts of unrelated crap, it is quite obviously not a genuine site for a computer retail store.

Nissan should have offered him money for the names in the first place. However...

I could be wrong but he is barred from using nissan.com to sell computers, or anything. Yes, Nissan Motors should have just offered him so cash instead.

I could be wrong but he is barred from using nissan.com to sell computers, or anything. Yes, Nissan Motors should have just offered him so cash instead.

His whole claim was based on his being a humble Computer retailer who's name just happens to be Nissan... he actually does notionally have computers for sale on his site..

http://www.nissan.com

He also won the right to continue using the domain name, but in what was obviously a slap from the judge was only awarded $58,000 in costs.. which apparently was only 2% of the actual cost of his defense.

Top Bottom