XF 2.0 An exception occurred: [TypeError] Argument 2 passed to XF\App::getCustomFieldsForEdit()

FancyFloyd

Here's a quick recap:

Wanted to migrate from a Joomla (CMS) Kunena forum to XF.

No importers exist, so I opted for migrating to WordPress's BBPress forum software, and then on to XF from there.

Used this BBpress importer (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bbpress-importer.5474/) to migrate to XF.

Ported over to an empty XF 1.5 installation. I rebuilt threads, forums and user caches as instructed. Everything worked.

From there, I upgraded to XF 2 (latest version) following all the instructions. Again, successfully.

My problem is now, that when clicking on users (on any user), I get the following error:

Code:
An exception occurred: [TypeError] Argument 2 passed to XF\App::getCustomFieldsForEdit() must be an instance of XF\CustomField\Set, null given in src/XF/App.php on line 1581

XF\App->getCustomFieldsForEdit()
call_user_func_array() in src/XF/Template/Templater.php at line 936
XF\Template\Templater->method() in internal_data/code_cache/templates/l3/s0/public/custom_fields_macros.php at line 174
XF\Template\Templater->{closure}() in src/XF/Template/Templater.php at line 659
XF\Template\Templater->callMacro() in internal_data/code_cache/templates/l3/s0/admin/user_edit.php at line 552
XF\Template\Templater->{closure}() in src/XF/Template/Templater.php at line 1246
XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate() in src/XF/Template/Template.php at line 24
XF\Template\Template->render() in src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php at line 48
XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 332
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 303
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 44
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1889
XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 328
XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13
I've tried a file health check, and everything is good.

Creating new users (for instance my admin profile) results in a fully working and viewable user-profile.

I've looked at the referenced App.php line, but nothing stands out to me.

Can anyone please assist? Would greatly appreciate it.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I suspect this might be down to the import itself perhaps not creating records in the xf_user_profile table for some (or maybe all) users. Are you able to confirm if that is the case?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I've confirmed by looking at the code that the importer does not create the expected records for all users. This is a fairly big problem and will cause the sorts of issue you described.

As a quick fix, this will create blank records for each user in each table where applicable:
SQL:
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_user_option (user_id) SELECT user_id FROM xf_user;
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_user_privacy (user_id) SELECT user_id FROM xf_user;
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_user_profile (user_id) SELECT user_id FROM xf_user;
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_user_authenticate (user_id) SELECT user_id FROM xf_user;

FancyFloyd

I suspect this might be down to the import itself perhaps not creating records in the xf_user_profile table for some (or maybe all) users. Are you able to confirm if that is the case?
You know, I saw this the other day when you posted. I was about to try and figure out how to confirm the missing records, but got slightly overwhelmed and left it.

-come back to:

I've confirmed by looking at the code that the importer does not create the expected records for all users. This is a fairly big problem and will cause the sorts of issue you described.

As a quick fix, this will create blank records for each user in each table where applicable:
SQL:
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_user_option (user_id) SELECT user_id FROM xf_user;
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_user_privacy (user_id) SELECT user_id FROM xf_user;
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_user_profile (user_id) SELECT user_id FROM xf_user;
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_user_authenticate (user_id) SELECT user_id FROM xf_user;
-and that's absolutely brilliant. It worked, and now I was also able to rebuild users like it kept asking me for after I had upgraded to version 2.X (even though I had already done this in the earlier version).

So thank you very much Chris -- it looks to be working now.

I ran these queries, and only the third one produced a result (four rows inserted). 1,2and4 did nothing.

However, I'm running the latest version. Would that make a difference?