An alternative for 'Post New Thread' - your opinion

dutchbb

This thread/poll is a result of an earlier suggestion thread here. I'm interested in more feedback on an alternative I posted there, mostly to see if it could be considered as add-on later, to receive critique, and discuss what the drawbacks of such a layout could be.

Current layout:

newthreadregular.webp

Alternative layout:

inlinethread.webp

Thanks for any feedback positive or negative.

the idea is good, but the concept is poorly design...
Sorry but I think you are a bit harsh on me here. First of all this was a quick mockup, and it can always be improved. Secondly I do not see a 'poorly design' if I may say so myself. I see a design that can possibly be improved.

if you are going to create a quick thread type of mod, make it simple, functional and make it go all the way...
Why just enter a title if you are going to end up clicking the post new thread button anyways? What is the use of that?
It doesn't add an extra step, it just puts the first step (typing the thread title) on the page with the list of existing threads. So it does have a use, it invites the user to start a thread. It also puts the Post New Thread button closer to the existing threads, making it easier to spot.

Also, this mockup doesn't mean the user has to go to a new page after clicking the button, it might as well expand so everything happens on the same page. The only limit here is your own mind;)

Like i said, the idea of having a Quick Thread is genius! ... i would probably do it like Google calendar does it... simple and functional and goes all the way. You should still have the option of creating a thread with all the bells and whistles. Also, the option should be enable/disabled in the admin cp...
Well thanks, but the quick thread wasn't the purpose of this thread.

something similar to this:

View attachment 3298
I guess it's my turn now to give you feedback;) First of all, there is no way to get more options, secondly, it does not bring the button closer to the content (which is actually the main reason for this alternative and thread), thirdly you need to use a 'submit' button there, not a 'call to action' button.

Thanks for the feedback :)

....secondly, it does not bring the button closer to the content (main purpose of this thread actually)...

Very important point. If you look at the other thread, the reason for even considering a "quick thread" was to make it easier for new users to locate a way to start a new thread. The proposed solution was to essentially copy what works with quick reply on the thread page and apply it to the thread list page. The point is not to make something like this just for the sake of doing it (although I do think there's additional ease-of-use benefits to doing this). At the core, the design needs to draw attention to how a user starts a new thread.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, with the quick reply, the XF devs have developed something that implies that the user has already begun creating a reply (by including the user's avatar, etc next to the reply box). You could argue that this simple change makes posting more enticing or inviting. I believe they can achieve something similar on the thread list page. It will make the process of creating a thread more obvious and more inviting.

Top Bottom