An alternative for 'Post New Thread' - your opinion

dutchbb

This thread/poll is a result of an earlier suggestion thread here. I'm interested in more feedback on an alternative I posted there, mostly to see if it could be considered as add-on later, to receive critique, and discuss what the drawbacks of such a layout could be.

Current layout:

newthreadregular.webp

Alternative layout:

inlinethread.webp

Thanks for any feedback positive or negative.

It's an interesting concept but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Presumably clicking the button would take you to the Create Thread page with the title field already populated?

When you get your copy next week (you are getting a copy I presume?), can you edit the code so we can test it out on your forum :D ;)

I like the current one, don't change it!

Your new one is too normalish. Those ones you really see because of the dark blue. Yours is just another blue button on the white layout ;)

I commented on this in the other thread, but here's the gist of what I said there:

...something similar to what you've mocked up, but expand it when the user starts typing a thread title. So, to elaborate:
  1. If the user clicks the "post new thread" button in your mockup without supplying a title, they are taken to the advanced thread creation page
  2. If the user starts typing a title, the area below the title box is expanded to present the user with the options typically found in quick reply. This allows them to create the text of the initial post of the thread without leaving the threadlist.
The entire thread could be created from the threadlist page unless the user needs something extra, like a poll.

the concept is cool. it works on twitter and facebook. wordpress has a theme named p2 aimed at posting new content fast.

but the biggest problem with this theory is...

on a forum like line... it would simply result in more repeated threads about the same topic. people are already too lazy to check existing threads. search for something they are looking for. making them easy to post a new thread (like a tweet!) would result in more duplicated threads.

having said that, i would love to have this feature on my forum to check how it performs in the real world scenario. as a mod? alright. as a core feature? awesome.

the idea is good, but the concept is poorly design... if you are going to create a quick thread type of mod, make it simple, functional and make it go all the way...
Why just enter a title if you are going to end up clicking the post new thread button anyways? What is the use of that?

Like i said, the idea of having a Quick Thread is genius! ... i would probably do it like Google calendar does it... simple and functional and goes all the way. You should still have the option of creating a thread with all the bells and whistles. Also, the option should be enable/disabled in the admin cp...

something similar to this:

q_thread.webp

I like the idea of quick thread vs full thread. Full thread will bring out WYSIWYG etc. whereas the quick thread can just be for unstyled postings. Nice concept.

A quick thread options might be nice, but I am still undecided about the consequences, will need to put some thought into this. Concept is quite interesting indeed.

Consequence of affecting the experience for the user as well as the quality of content for the board - direction; is more what I meant.

I also wouldn't like perhaps that every time you hover over the button it ajax loads the form into a overlay thingy.

Nor am i certain yet about the implementation, such as overlay, pop up, slide in, or otherwise.

Ah yeah, the how parts?!

Perhaps it can be an icon next to post new thread that when clicked drops-down a quick thread option. Perhaps it should be an overlay too to keep consistent.

Just saying, I feel I have to think about those few examples I gave, to consider if it is something that should indeed be in a product, could be, or optionally be included, or is better as addon or perhaps just something that sounds nice on paper but best left alone.

everything is possible... my sketch was done in 5 minutes... i didn't gave any thoughts on buttons design or input labels, etc... The important thing to remember is the concept of a quick thread vs a half quick thread vs full thread and how a quick thread could be simple and functional. Either way, the option should be something that could be turned off/on in the admin cp.

it is also my believe that the quality of content for the board is not decided by the user using a quick thread versus a full thread window... a user could always post mediocre content using a full thread window...

Top Bottom