aMember Pro with XenForo2 Plugin

aMember Pro with XenForo2 Plugin [Paid] 1.0

No permission to buy ($220.00)
Is there anywhere a DEMO to see where it is fully integrated with Xenforo? I have my doubts that it is what I'm looking for and if it works for our simple paid user upgrades.

I can see we have a payment provider integrated with Xenforo that is not supported by aMember if I look on your list.

Do I understand it correct, when installing aMember then the payment methods integrated with Xenforo are not used any longer, we will only use aMember to to handle all user upgrades?

Is there anywhere a DEMO to see where it is fully integrated with Xenforo? I have my doubts that it is what I'm looking for and if it works for our simple paid user upgrades.

I can see we have a payment provider integrated with Xenforo that is not supported by aMember if I look on your list.

Do I understand it correct, when installing aMember then the payment methods integrated with Xenforo are not used any longer, we will only use aMember to to handle all user upgrades?

You can still use xenforo payments for upgrades if you like. You just mark the usergroup they're added to as a "supergroup" in amember, and then amember won't modify that group.

I think it's better to handle things on the amember side.

aMember for XF opens up countless payment options for users, but it's also a great way to synchronize your user's logins, emails and passwords between several types of community software: blogs, CMS, wikis, and forums.

If there's a payment system or software that's not currently offered, aMember devs do custom development work for low prices and they're fast.

Tips for using aMember with Xenforo

* Preserve your groups! You want amember to handle your "premium" groups but there's likely some forum-specific "fun" groups you want to handle on the XF-side. Head to amember/admin-setup/xenforo. Under "Super Groups" you'll want to add every usergroup that you don't want aMember to wipe: moderator groups are included by default, but you should add any "fun" / community usergroups, as any usergroup that you don't have set up as a product in aMember will be wiped upon user update.

* Don't use aMember's SSO (single sign-on). Your experience may vary, but I find it more reliable for everyone to log-in to Xenforo, or Wikis, or Wordpress using the native software. To accomplish native sign-in with Xenforo, I made the following changes to the XF plugin addons\Amember\Redirect.php
PHP:
if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Register') {
            self::redirect('/signup', $isAjax, false);
        }

if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Login'
            || $routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:LostPassword') {
            self::redirect('/login', $isAjax);
        }

if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Logout') {
            self::redirect('/logout', $isAjax);

}
    }

to

PHP:
/*       if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Register') {
        }
*/
        if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:LostPassword') {

self::redirect('/login?sendpass', $isAjax, false);
        }

/* if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Logout') {
        } */
    }

This allows users to logout and login natively with Xenforo, as well as connect various cloud accounts (Facebook, Discord, etc.) to their XF profile.

With these modifications, you'll also want to:
  • Disable registration on XF (admin.php?options/groups/usersAndRegistration/)
  • Include a link to amember's registration somewhere on the forums that's easy to find.
  • Forward account/email changes to amember. I made custom plugins for this and can supply them on request.
  • Add anti-spam safeguards to registration. With amember handling registration you lose many anti-spam options for XF, so in aMember you'll want to set up "random questions" as well as captcha to protect your forum from spam. (We should probably ask them to make a stopforumspam feature.)
As always, I'm happy to answer any questions though I'm a bit slow to respond.

Last edited:
This looks like what I've been hunting for, thank you for posting all this.

Not sure I understand where the protected membership area would be located though....... XF? Wordpress? Both?

This looks like what I've been hunting for, thank you for posting all this.

Not sure I understand where the protected membership area would be located though....... XF? Wordpress? Both?

Both. aMember handles signup and payment, syncs your users with XF/Wordpress/mediawiki/github/drupal/ipb/jooma/magento/xcart/etc, and sets their usergroups in each software.

Last edited:
I can vouch for aMember -- I've used it continually since the early 2000s to date with many different platforms -- I would upgrade to something else (i.e. in our case from vBulletin to Xenforo and ExpressionEngine to Wordpress, etc.) and aMember would plug right into it and keep working so it's been great for that. Works well with XF and Wordpress also.

It's powerful and complex so you'll want to roll up your sleeves and dig into it or get help from an expert to get you going.

Ray

aMember for XF opens up countless payment options for users, but it's also a great way to synchronize your user's logins, emails and passwords between several types of community software: blogs, CMS, wikis, and forums.

If there's a payment system or software that's not currently offered, aMember devs do custom development work for low prices and they're fast.

Tips for using aMember with Xenforo

* Preserve your groups! You want amember to handle your "premium" groups but there's likely some forum-specific "fun" groups you want to handle on the XF-side. Head to amember/admin-setup/xenforo. Under "Super Groups" you'll want to add every usergroup that you don't want aMember to wipe: moderator groups are included by default, but you should add any "fun" / community usergroups, as any usergroup that you don't have set up as a product in aMember will be wiped upon user update.

* Don't use aMember's SSO (single sign-on). Your experience may vary, but I find it more reliable for everyone to log-in to Xenforo, or Wikis, or Wordpress using the native software. To accomplish native sign-in with Xenforo, I made the following changes to the XF plugin addons\Amember\Redirect.php
PHP:
if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Register') {
        }

if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Login'
            || $routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:LostPassword') {
            self::redirect('/login', $isAjax);
        }

if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Logout') {

}
    }

to

PHP:
/*       if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Register') {
        }
*/
        if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:LostPassword') {

self::redirect('/login?sendpass', $isAjax, false);
        }

/* if ($routeMatch->getController() == 'XF:Logout') {
        } */
    }

This allows users to logout and login natively with Xenforo, as well as connect various cloud accounts (Facebook, Discord, etc.) to their XF profile.

With these modifications, you'll also want to:
  • Disable registration on XF (admin.php?options/groups/usersAndRegistration/)
  • Include a link to amember's registration somewhere on the forums that's easy to find.
  • Forward account/email changes to amember. I made custom plugins for this and can supply them on request.
  • Add anti-spam safeguards to registration. With amember handling registration you lose many anti-spam options for XF, so in aMember you'll want to set up "random questions" as well as captcha to protect your forum from spam. (We should probably ask them to make a stopforumspam feature.)
As always, I'm happy to answer any questions though I'm a bit slow to respond.

Hmm, we've been letting aMember handle logins for a long time now but this is something worth considering when we finally upgrade our forums to XF 2...

Thanks for sharing!
Ray

I was watching every video I could find on aMember last night..... it sounded so good.
Then I was able to see on a video what the member portal looked like for displaying purchased courses :unsure: That was a huge turnoff.

You cab just use it for syncing passwords and ignore the rest right?

You can customize aMember portal, login pages, etc. by editing the appropriate HTML template (CSS will do it too) in the templates folder.

I didn't bother on my end -- customers don't really care as long as they can punch in their order and get what they want. : )

Ray

Yeah the default templates look like a site from 2008 but like Solari said, totally customizable.

The fact is there aren't companies making self-hosted software like this any longer, everything is a cloud service now.

Reading all this, I find aMember interesting, but I wonder if it is possible to "hide" it form users until they make a purchase? So use XF Signup, Login, .. @Solari posted some modifications, but Signup still seems to be handled by aMember..

Reading all this, I find aMember interesting, but I wonder if it is possible to "hide" it form users until they make a purchase? So use XF Signup, Login, .. @Solari posted some modifications, but Signup still seems to be handled by aMember..

I haven't set up a site like this so I can't vouch, but it should be possible with this option:

1657722838939.png

I'd perform the modifications earlier in this thread, but leave out the ones for registration.

As always, once a user is in the amember system you'll want to handle all username/email/password changes on the amember side.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say great plugin and features, we like it a lot, and thanks for the awesome support via email. Recommended! 😎

@sub_ubi - Do you know if aMember can be used to link several xenForo sites together for SSO, or does it only support one xenForo site?
Last I asked in 2017, yes it works with multiple XF sites either on the same domain or different. Users, passes, integrations etc. will mirror.

SSO only works on same domain though.

That said, ask them since things may have gotten easier in the last 6 years

Last I asked in 2017, yes it works with multiple XF sites either on the same domain or different. Users, passes, integrations etc. will mirror.

SSO only works on same domain though.

That said, ask them since things may have gotten easier in the last 6 years
Perfect! Thank you so much for your quick reply. :) I've reached out to aMember as well.

@sub_ubi - Do you know if aMember can be used to link several xenForo sites together for SSO, or does it only support one xenForo site?
They can if you reach out to them. Their forums are useful for this sort of thing so I’m not sure why they don’t link to it from their website:

A few quick questions ...
  • How does amember handle existing paid memberships in XF? Do users have to cancel and create new with amamber? or?
  • Can I have 2 different XF sites and they each allow same usernames? For example can they each have a 'Ted' user or will amamber only allow unique names across everything it's plugged into?

• How does amember handle existing paid memberships in XF? Do users have to cancel and create new with amamber? or?
  • Can I have 2 different XF sites and they each allow same usernames? For example can they each have a 'Ted' user or will amamber only allow unique names across everything it's plugged into?

I have an pre-sales inquiry email going with the aMember team. I'll add your questions to the email and post their responses here. :)

@eDaddi - aMember answered my email this morning. I've bolded the answers below each question. I've also included the other questions I asked for anyone who finds them useful.

1) I have an existing xenForo installation with thousands of members. Is it possible to import those existing members into a fresh installation of
aMember and preserve their existing information (username, email, password)?

Yes, you will need to export data in CSV format from Xenforo database(for example using PhpMyAdmin).

2) What xenForo member fields are "taken over" by aMember? For instance, will we still be able to add and manage custom profile fields for members through xenForo?

Custom fields will work only if edit code of the plugin, it can be done for a fee.

3) If I understand correctly, aMember takes over registration for xenForo once they're integrated. Assuming I have two or more xenForo forums
plugged into aMember, will everyone that registers automatically have an account across each of the forums (with matching credentials)?

Yes.

4) How does amember handle existing paid memberships in XenForo? Do users have to cancel and create new with aMember?

Yes, users will need to pay through Amember.

5) Can I have 2 different xenForo sites and they each allow same usernames? For example, can they each have a "Ted" user or will aMember
only allow unique names across everything it's plugged into?

Yes, it will work.

Please note SSO will work only for the same domain.

Top Bottom