1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Web Services(Cloud Front) and Avatars

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by robdog, Jan 23, 2012.

1. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Quick question, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. Anyways, I have recently switched from MaxCDN to Amazon Web Services. The one thing I did notice is that the query string is NOT taken into account for busting the cache on images. This is proving to be a problem when people update their avatars.

Is there a way to move the query string cache busting into the filename? Or has anyone figured out a way to get this to work properly?

Thanks.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Yes, I see the query string being used as a "cache buster", but this is not supported by Amazon Web Services. (Cloud Front using the query string to bust the cache)

I was wondering if we could be the query string time stamp into the filename(ie: http://xenforo.com/community/data/avatars/l/0/521_1321091944.jpg)? Or if someone found a way to get the query string to work with AWS.

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Amazon ignores the timestamp in the request? That's a booger.

Not without an addon or code modification.

5. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a question in to them and seeing if they are going to support that anytime soon. Not sure what I am going to do if they come back with a NO, lol.

That is what I was afraid of. :(

6. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

Has anyone sorted this out? Having the same problem.
    Members avatars are showing as different depending on the page display.

7. taylor_smith

taylor_smith Well-Known Member

We're preparing to move to Amazon Web Services, too. Really interested to find a solution. :(

8. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

I think I fixed it by telling my Distribution > Behaviors > Default > 'Forward Query Strings' > Yes
    This seems to allow AWS to see the ? 12345678 date stamp behind the url. Within ~15 minutes, all of my problems cleared but I will closely monitor this to see if it introduces any other abnormalities.