Amazon EFS...NFS storage on AWS

@RoldanLT That's unfortunate, but I've heard good things about OVH and their DDoS protection. I've had three attacks on Linode, but they've been spread out over 2 years and weren't too big.

I've considered OVH myself, but I really wish they had a backup service. They sell backup storage, but it's expensive compared to Linode and not as convenient. You have to use your own solution to do the backups, and you can't just restore the backup to a disk image and boot it like you can on Linode.

I've considered OVH myself, but I really wish they had a backup service. They sell backup storage, but it's expensive compared to Linode and not as convenient.
OVH dedicated server has 500GB free backup available :).

If you value your community, don't use OVH. End of story.

If you insist on using them and file a ticket and a guy name Tom gets it, request a new Rep.

Ow well. How could you say that?
I'm using OVH since December 2013.
Without any issue at all really.
very happy to use them since.

Well, since I used OVH I only created a ticket to hurry up my new server order delivery nothing else.

OVH dedicated server has 500GB free backup available :).
Not bad, though I still wish it was a full backup solution instead of just a file storage service.

If you value your community, don't use OVH. End of story.
Care to elaborate, or have a link to a thread where I can read further?

@OP et al., sorry for contributing to the derailment of this thread...

I say that from experience.

I bought a server, it was provisioned incorrectly, they provisioned a second one leaving the old one attached to my account but changing the root password so as to deny me access to it (why they didnt completely remove it from my account will become obvious). They (someone at OVH) then used my old server which was no longer in my control to send TONS of spam out and then when I realized something was wrong (activity for the other server was showing in the server dash) and notified them...they banned me for it...they then banned me from their network and the company refused communications with me going so far as to notify me directly that they had blocked my email from their inboxes...this all from me reporting the suspicious activity to them...which I have documented including the recorded phone call with the rep named Tom who asked me to give him my root password after telling him that and when I said I need that in writing in a ticket because of the screwy things that were happening with my server I was subsequently banned. I had to dispute the bill with my credit company and report their criminal activities offering the documentation to get my money back.

No company worthy of any level of respect would do that to a customer who is paying them decent money for what amounts to at that time...a live testbed that no one else had access to publicly.

This is why I say...do not use OVH...they are thieves who hire crooks.

PS I am also sorry for following the direction of this thread but a mention was made and that is what I will say pretty much every time anyone mentions OVH...because I really wouldn't be part of this community if I didn't help steer folks away from a company that I know from experience is capable of doing dirt to their customers with not a sigh of remorse.

I use linode behind cloudflare.

I've been ddos'd on linode without complaint from their staff. I even asked for a new IP to mitigate workarounds, mid-attack, and they were fine with it.

Do you use paid CloudFlare? I tried the free CF and thought it was terrible... got an error page 90% of the time.

May I ask why use amazon at all? They're overpriced

Linode is a much better deal
Seeing you replioed to my post, we use aws as it scales, we might be running 1 server and two hours later have upped to 10 and then a couple of hours later back to 2 servers, all without anyone doing anything. The databases are highly tuned and I know I can up them without issue. S3 is a solution that is invaluable. Sure the per cost server at Linode is cheaper, but we're past that.

Linode scales just the same. How is it different? Linode, you can create a new instance on demand just like aws.

Sure, you need 10. And then you spawn 10 just the same.

Do you know what autoscaling is?
I've got some initial prototypes for scripts for implementing auto-scaling on Linode. Never got around to finishing them because my site's forum load is remarkably static, and at most it would be only removing or adding a single node at most.

It just isn't worth the time for me to finish them yet.

As you scale upwards, the price structures starts to favor AWS. It can be cheaper if you're using a lot of resources consistently. Linode is obviously more cost effective for smaller and steady load.

As you scale upwards, the price structures starts to favor AWS. It can be cheaper if you're using a lot of resources consistently. Linode is obviously more cost effective for smaller and steady load.
Linode does per hour-pricing, and is still better pricing wise than AWS. You just need to roll your own scaling implementation to use Linode's API. But this requires developer hours which can get expensive if you don't have the skills in-house.

At least for compute. Bulk data storage is another matter where it can be very challenging to beat AWS S3

AWS sells VPS hourly which can be used via script , as well as a dynamic database system, hourly. They also sell NFS storage.

Linode sells VPS hourly, which can be used via script. They also pool your VPS storage, so you can place most of your storage on a single VPS, which is similar to buying NFS space. They don't have a dynamic database system, but you can place linked databases on VPS via script easily enough.

The area where Amazon wins is where you have a large amount of data you rarely access.

Google Cloud Platform and Azure have a difference where you can actually rent workloads. Amazon doesn't do that. Amazon is closer to linode in that sense than it is to Azure or Google Cloud.

Linode is substantially cheaper, and gives you large pools of free outgoing bandwidth, also.

The only case where amazon wins, is where you have a unusually large pool of rarely accessed data, and a small computational and ram requirement.

Linode also gives you some unusual benefits, such as placing you on boxes with 40gbit incoming connections, incase you get hit with something nasty that you can rate limit and drop. On Amazon, a 10gbit ddos will result in a failed machine. On linode, a 10gbit ddos will result in a CPU spike.

Interesting thought indeed. Let's note that I use both Linode, and AWS (along with GCP, and Digital Ocean) so my view is objective.

Let's look at some differences:

• The only sensible thing that can directly relate to Linode VPS is AWS EC2. The rest of the product offering, Linode simply doesn't have.
  • EFS isn't the same as pooling the same Linode storage in one instance. EFS simply doesn't fail, whereas if you use one Linode instance as NFS, then the failure rate will depend on how you handle that specific server.
  • AWS is diversity in terms of products to make it a real cloud (like GCP, Azure, and Aliyun). For others, they're simply selling VPSes and some other value added features. If you are using the cloud for other purposes, then it's better to stick with VPS which you know best.
  • In the case of DDoS, it'll depend on AWS load balancer (pre-warming) and what kind of customer you are. Linode might be better for smaller sites. For smaller website like ours, using CloudFlare or some other types of web proxy is a good savings. In your case, Linode is great at absorbing DDoS traffic.
  • It isn't a good idea to look at pricing when comparing Linode VPS and AWS EC2. If you go with AWS, you will most likely think about how to outsource most of your infrastructure to the cloud (database, autoscaling, file system, caching, elasticsearch, load balancer). In my case, I hate to manage MariaDB, configure file systems, etc. I simply want to create a startup script to hook everything, and unhook them at shutdown (for autoscaling). For every other purposes, go with VPS, and it makes sense.
  • Until Linode creates those product diversity with fundamental thought of high availability & scalability, it isn't a cloud. I'd love for DigitalOcean and Linode to someday create managed DB, file system, etc.. but it's far away in the future.
P/S: I'm confused about a few things. What do you mean by:
  • Google Cloud Platform and Azure lets you rent workloads where AWS doesn't?
  • The area where Amazon wins is where you have a large amount of data you rarely access? AWS has products specifically for this purpose. If you use another type of product for data you rarely access, doesn't it mean you are using the wrong one?

Last edited:
I say that from experience.

I bought a server, it was provisioned incorrectly, they provisioned a second one leaving the old one attached to my account but changing the root password so as to deny me access to it (why they didnt completely remove it from my account will become obvious). They (someone at OVH) then used my old server which was no longer in my control to send TONS of spam out and then when I realized something was wrong (activity for the other server was showing in the server dash) and notified them...they banned me for it...they then banned me from their network and the company refused communications with me going so far as to notify me directly that they had blocked my email from their inboxes...this all from me reporting the suspicious activity to them...which I have documented including the recorded phone call with the rep named Tom who asked me to give him my root password after telling him that and when I said I need that in writing in a ticket because of the screwy things that were happening with my server I was subsequently banned. I had to dispute the bill with my credit company and report their criminal activities offering the documentation to get my money back.

No company worthy of any level of respect would do that to a customer who is paying them decent money for what amounts to at that time...a live testbed that no one else had access to publicly.

This is why I say...do not use OVH...they are thieves who hire crooks.

PS I am also sorry for following the direction of this thread but a mention was made and that is what I will say pretty much every time anyone mentions OVH...because I really wouldn't be part of this community if I didn't help steer folks away from a company that I know from experience is capable of doing dirt to their customers with not a sigh of remorse.
Was this a dedicated server from OVH?

You can to some regard use a distributed file system to replicate EFS. It'd actually be faster, by a substantial margin.

Setup 2 VPS, distributed file system across the 2.

Of course, linode isn't exactly cheap for storage volume per gig. Then again, there is nothing that says you can't combo S3 (or dreamobjects, it's cheaper dreamhost owned s3 compatible cousin), with linode, digital ocean, etc.

Top Bottom