Amazon Associates not allowing use of online forum

I will but I've been through this before. They simply respond with "the decision is final, you may reapply....". I sent them a message to please cite the reference in the program policies as I can't find it.

Am I missing something? I do not see anything in there about no forums allowed in their program..

Is there a difference between Amazon Web Services and Amazon Associates?

Been running an instance of XenForo on Amazon Web Services for almost a year now, without any trouble.

I contacted Amazon and spoke with someone on the Associates team and they pointed me to the reference 6p within Program Participation Requirements.

(p) You will not include any Special Links in any content that you place on an Amazon Site (for example, in connection with any advertising service available through an Amazon Site or in a customer review, forum, Wish List, guide, or any other customer-generated context available on an Amazon Site).

I think the trick is you'll have to use a non forum site to get verified after a few orders come in then hope for the best for forum use. If they revalidate you then you'll get shut down.

I contacted Amazon and spoke with someone on the Associates team and they pointed me to the reference 6p within Program Participation Requirements.

That requirement is pretty poorly worded - but I think they're misinterpreting their own rules.

When I read that - I take it to mean that you are not allowed to use your affiliate links in any content you place on one of Amazon's sites - including reviews for products on Amazon.com, forums on Amazon.com, wishlists on Amazon.com, etc ... the key word being "on an Amazon site". Interpreted like that, it makes perfect sense.

It does not say anywhere that you cannot run affiliate links on a forum that is not associated with Amazon.

It would be foolish of them to disallow general non-Amazon run forums when they make no similar distinction for other forms of social media or user generated content sites - they would be missing out on a lot of inbound links.

I suspect it's a case of uninformed staff not understanding their own rules.

I agree that it sounds like on an Amazon site. She said it was an old rule and not something new. I think I'll call again and see if I can get another opinion.

Last edited:

"You will not include any Special Links in any content that you place on an Amazon Site (for example, in connection with any advertising service available through an Amazon Site or in a customer review, forum, Wish List, guide, or any other customer-generated context available on an Amazon Site)."​

Just in case you run into issues again, or in case anyone else does. The above statement in quotes refers to posting affiliate links on an Amazon Site that contains a forum.

As long as the links you're posting are on your own site/forum you will remain in compliance.

Posting your affiliate links on another site, whether it is an Amazon site or not can get you in trouble and cause your associate status to be withdrawn.

These sites are off limits:
  1. All Amazon Sites (anything associated with Amazon)
  2. Any other site that is an Amazon Affiliate
You never know who number 2 maybe, so it's best not to post affiliate links anywhere other than on your own site(s). Because once you lose your affiliate status it can be hard to get it back.

When contacting Amazon over issues with these rules be aware first tier customer service is typically lacking in the basic understanding of the rules themselves. You may need to contact customer service multiple times to get it resolved. Contacting by phone seems to get faster and more positive results.

I'm very afraid as to where I can post links and as I've been on the end of their double-barrel shotgun (only takes one shot) before (which I thought was the background of this) I stay true to only using it on my owned sites. It's interesting in that I also had to use an email for the affiliate account that matches my owned site so they may be using this to help crack down. I'm guessing as I have several sites that I would need separate affiliate accounts, one for each site, if this were true. I'm just very leery as getting Amazon to reverse their decision is a near impossible task. I'm thankful I'm one of the few. I would love to use it on Thingiverse (3D printing) but I don't. It's a creative site, also Facebook, etc. I'm just not comfortable learning where I can or cannot use the links. If anyone knows for sure what is safe and what is not I welcome your knowledge.

Bumping an old thread. Amazon keeps rejecting my accounts, even when they let it run for 30 or so days. Ridiculous.

Is it because the email I use to sign up doesnt match my domain? I cant think of any other reason they keep telling me to pound sand.

Forums and Amazon existed in the mid 70s? ;)

Ive tried.....3 times? And every time they kick me for violating their terms. I've even pointed to them to this thread TWICE, still got booted. Our site traffic is down but they clearly state its because we're a forum. So ridiculous.

Dont worry mate i've just had the same. i'll sort it for us soon, digging deep to get a higher up Amazon contact.

The issue is they dont allow you to run a Forum on an Amazon Site, but your forum isnt an Amazon Site, it's a stand alone self hosted forum, this seems to be the problem and many of the 1st liners get it wrong and terminate affiliate accounts.

I just got rejected after 30 days or so of being up as well.

apparently, no forums.

We’ve now reviewed your application to the Associates Program. Unfortunately, it did not meet our program requirements. As a result, we have closed the account under which you had been temporarily approved.

Why?
The site xxxxx you listed is an online forum. This is in violation of our Program Policies, found here: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/help/operating/policies.

What’s next?
If you own the forum site, kindly resubmit your application and remember to ensure your email ID matches with the domain name. You will be paid for any outstanding fees accrued prior to this notice. You’re welcome to reapply once our other program requirements are met.

Thank you for your interest in the Associates Program.

I just got rejected after 30 days or so of being up as well.

apparently, no forums.
Again, the only mention of "forum" or "forums" on that page is this paragraph:

(p) You will not include any Special Links in any content that you place on an Amazon Site (for example, in connection with any advertising service available through an Amazon Site or in a customer review, forum, Wish List, guide, or any other customer-generated context available on an Amazon Site).

That does NOT say "no forums". If Amazon reps are telling you that, they are wrong and you should appeal.

Top Bottom