allow XFMG embeds on other sites

drastic

From this thread:

• allow embeds of videos on other sites, show embed code for video.
  • allow users to post a url that becomes automatically clickable, like on YouTube.
  • reactions or likes/dislikes instead of ratings

Upvote 6
+1

Hello! I understand that XenForo has its own "ecosystem." However, there's a much-needed feature I'd like to discuss. The Media Gallery is great, and I'm satisfied with all its functionalities. I've completely customized the style for my needs, but I'm wondering why it's not possible to add or modify BBCode to embed and share photos and videos from XenForo Media Gallery on other websites. This functionality is crucial.

Is it possible to develop a plugin for this purpose, or is there any existing solution?

Best regards.

+1

Hello! I understand that XenForo has its own "ecosystem." However, there's a much-needed feature I'd like to discuss. The Media Gallery is great, and I'm satisfied with all its functionalities. I've completely customized the style for my needs, but I'm wondering why it's not possible to add or modify BBCode to embed and share photos and videos from XenForo Media Gallery on other websites. This functionality is crucial.

Is it possible to develop a plugin for this purpose, or is there any existing solution?

Best regards.

Did I understand correctly: you want to make hot-linking easier, to encourage it?
(In this case, the idea is to include video, along with image hotlinking?)

Relja

Did I understand correctly: you want to make hot-linking easier, to encourage it?
(In this case, the idea is to include video, along with image hotlinking?)

Relja

I want that I could post this BBCode on third-party resources, and it would display my photo, as it works for example on Flickr.
Now this only works for the forum....

Снимок экрана 2023-12-05 в 10.13.51.webp

To enable users to embed their images on other websites (domains), I had to install another gallery script, Chevereto. I installed a plugin that added a button to the XenForo message editor. However...
  1. It's not possible to link registration on the forum and in Chevereto. I had to disable registration in Chevereto, appointing an admin there to register users upon requests from the forum. Otherwise, I receive numerous unauthenticated users, spam, and explicit content, which I don't need.
  2. Users are asking understandable questions - why do we need two galleries? I have to explain that if they want to display their photos only on the forum, they should use the "internal gallery," and if they want to broadcast to external resources, they should use Chevereto.
So, it turns out to be quite messy and confusing.
Moreover, XFMG, as a script, is more functional and has almost all the necessary features compared to Chevereto.
It would be great to have the ability for the engine to generate gallery BBCode that can be read on external resources.
Best regards.

Allowing and making image hotlinking easier has its pros and cons. IMO, it's a good idea to leave it to plugin developers as an extra feature.

I would like my users to be able to copy an embed code to place on their own sites, if they wanted to.

Then it would display my video player with a logo/link to homepage. This gives bloggers some content and gets me some extra traffic.

Embedded videos have been around for ages, so I think any media software should have the ability/options to accommodate that for social/blog shares.

Unluckily.. it seems that many of XF's "embed" features are XenForo (specifically XFMG embed) seem to be XF specific. They don't honor ability to embed in other scripts.
A simple embed (from the Link embed from XFMG, such ashttps://astrowhat.com/media/m17_bright_moon_processed_010524-jpg.444/ fails to embed as an image on other sites, mainly because it does NOT link to an actual image (as shown in the example link) but to what XenForo thinks should work. Seems their opinion goes against the rest of the interwebz.

Note... the current alpha of what appears to be XF 2.3 really sucks in the editor ability specifically.. it simply pushes the fact that XF seems to be sorely lacking and really needs a LOT of core work. It might behoove XF to push XF 2.3 out further until they get an actual editor that works better.

Last edited:
Not really sure why in this day and age it doesn’t simply act like Imgur… maybe one day. But this is another example of how forum software needs to get with the times.

XF is immensely outdated in so many ways that it becomes unusable for most projects. Such a good piece of software that could overtake things like WordPress and video scripts if they just came up to the times.

I'd use XF on every project if they would just modernize it.

Terrible idea because you’re allowing private info that isn’t yours to be posted online.

have you ever heard of YouTube or any other media site? You can share/embed videos from those and most of them have the option to allow/disallow embeds. That's what I want readers to do with my content. This has nothing to do with personal info.

A very simple permission setting would allow users to disable the embeds. Or the admin can disable them entirely. It's not that deep, so quit trying to knock it down.

Top Bottom