Allow users to edit thread titles?

SgtSpike

In some cases, I would like to allow registered users to edit the titles of threads they have posted. Is this possible?

As far as I know, the only place to edit a thread title is through the "Thread Tools" dropdown, which normal users do not have access to.

You can grant moderator permissions to any user group or user, but the thread title editing functionality is part of the manage, move, etc. permission.

Hmmm... yeah, don't really want to grant moderator permissions to everyone.

Is there any plans to change this? Every other forum software I have used in the past allows users to edit thread titles (with the proper permissions, of course), and it's a handy permission function to have.

One big example is for sale threads - if a forum has a marketplace where people buy and sell goods with each other, it is useful to tag the thread titles in some consistent manner, such as [WTB], [WTS], [BOUGHT], [SOLD], [CLOSED], etc. That way, people aren't clicking on useless threads, waiting to see whether the item is actually still for sale or not. Obviously, moderators can edit the thread title, but that puts unnecessary load on the moderators of the forum. It is also much more convenient for the user to do it themselves, since they can have it take effect immediately after the status of the thread changes.

I do hope that you will consider changing the thread title to be part of the edit post functionality in the future, instead of part of the moderator toolset.

There is an addon for this but it has its problems. It works though. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/lgbthreadrenamer.10958/

This should be in the core product as it has been suggested many times. It is essential for many forums. But developers prefer to spend time on things like google +1, animated gifs etc.. I have no problems with those, however basic forum permissions like this, which every other forum software already have, should be the priority.

There is an addon for this but it has its problems. It works though. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/lgbthreadrenamer.10958/

This should be in the core product as it has been suggested many times. It is essential for many forums. But developers prefer to spend time on things like google +1, animated gifs etc.. I have no problems with those, however basic forum permissions like this, which every other forum software already have, should be the priority.
I agree with you. This function is needed in the core product.

Top Bottom