Not planned Allow multiple instances or seperate configurations of the RM

Alpha1

The Resource Manager is basically an index or directory tool. A resource can be anything. Theoretically the resource manager can be used for:
- a store
- a reviews directory
- a business directory
- classifieds
- media library
- article system
- a combination of all of the above
etc.

It makes sense to use the resource manager in multiple ways. Not just one. For this reason it would be great if the RM could be used to cater to all of these needs. Either by using multiple instances of the same software or by making the RM flexible enough to appear as separate systems to the end user.

To be more specific:
- separate route per RM application
- configuration / permissions per RM application
- styling per RM application
- addon functionality per RM application

Upvote 9
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There is basically no likelihood in this ever happening. There are things you can do to approximate it, but what you're asking is to effectively equivalent to installing XenForo many times within itself.

Fair enough. So what can be done to approximate it?

If I would post a suggestion for 'RM super-categories' which appear to be separate, would that have a chance?
Such super-category would appear separate because of:
- route per super-category
- permissions per super-category
- layout/tabs per super-category
- navigation menu per super-category

There is basically no likelihood in this ever happening. There are things you can do to approximate it, but what you're asking is to effectively equivalent to installing XenForo many times within itself.
As my original request was 'effectively equivalent to installing XenForo many times within itself' could you please consider this suggestion as a request to 'approximate' multiple instances?

As some time has passed and the topic of emulating multiple instances of the RM framework has come up multiple times for various major addons, it's clear that it should be possible to emulate or approximate it. It's a popular request for addons and likely to arrive in addons built on the RM framework in the near future. It is not needed to have multiple installations of RM, but instead an 'instance node' would work well.

For example XenReviews works with instance nodes, which are just nodes that isolate its children from the rest of the nodes. For example: Main index. The admin can opt to hide the main index and only show one or more Instance nodes. This has enabled webmasters to use the same software for very different applications.

Yes, I have. My suggestion is to have similar functionality in the core RM so that any addon developer who uses the RM framework can reuse such functionality.

Top Bottom