Implemented Allow Moderators to Ban Users

Mr_Bob

Outside of the spam cleaner, it would be great to give moderators the ability to ban users, if they are given permission of course. As it stands, the only way to have a user banned by a moderator is using the spam cleaner, or make them a "administrator" in addition to being a moderator, with only the ban ability (but this still lets them run counters and view the error log).

Upvote 19
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
If I want someone on my staff to be able to ban members, I make them admins with specific permissions. I don't like this idea myself but that is just me.

Understandable. For me, I have only two administrators (myself and my co-webmaster). All other members of my staff are moderators. If neither my co-webmaster nor myself are online (I just about always have one moderator online though) and someone starts running a riot, the moderator has no real power to stop them unless they are a spam cleaner candidate or they feel like following them around, deleting their posts.

I guess a good compromise would be to add an additional permissions for admins disallowing the running of counter updates and viewing the error log ;).

I agree. If I can trust my moderators not to delete content, go wild, and burn the place down, I can trust them to use enough common sense to only ban people that need to be banned. Nothing permanent, or irrevocable, just slow down the crazies that occasionally happen.

If I want someone on my staff to be able to ban members, I make them admins with specific permissions. I don't like this idea myself but that is just me.
How don't you like this idea? Super Moderators (on vB) can do this. And I also agree that normal moderators don't get the privilege to ban. Obviously.

Abuse can happen if you give them too much power too soon.

How don't you like this idea? Super Moderators (on vB) can do this. And I also agree that normal moderators don't get the privilege to ban. Obviously.

Abuse can happen if you give them too much power too soon.

I already posted my reason... re-read my original post. You can like it if you want, just putting in my 2 cents... I don't want my moderators to have that power, my admins make the final call.

But what if I don't want to make them admin? I want to make them mods with more control - which is essentially what super mods were created for. However, I do not want normal, entry level mods having that power.

I used to be a member of corvetterforum . com, which I believe IB owns now. But way back when I was a member there, the site kept growing and growing, the owner/admin chose friends to be mods and super mods, not those people that had shown integrity. Long story short, if the MOD didn't like you, or what you posted, they would shut you down, banned people and deleted posts/threads. A lot of us left when a good friend started digitalcorvettes . com

I've seen power run amuck on a large site that the owner/admin couldn't keep up with. I have trusted people on my staff, 2 retired military, 1 USMC officer and another veteran like myself. I trust these guys and know they have sound judgment but they still clear it with me when someone gets banned.

Everyone has their own ideas of how to run their sites, I wouldn't giving banning power to a mod.

But what if I don't want to make them admin? I want to make them mods with more control - which is essentially what super mods were created for. However, I do not want normal, entry level mods having that power.

That's your problem to solve. Like I said, if this suggestion works for you then "like" it. I responded the way I did because that is how I feel.

Make a suggestion for a Super Moderator usergroup.

Tim, how do you slow down someone in a particularly 'special' mood that insists on posting 'stuff' non-stop when no admins are available?

That's your problem to solve. Like I said, if this suggestion works for you then "like" it. I responded the way I did because that is how I feel.
I'm not saying your comment is useless, nor am I saying that your opinion sucks. I have been through power trips myself over the course of my 8 years administrating many websites, some of them are 500,000+ posts sites.

The whole Super Moderator thing was dumb to begin with. Moderators moderate your board. If they can't ban people then they might as well be regular members. What is the point of having moderators if they can't keep the worst people off your forum?

The whole Super Moderator thing was dumb to begin with. Moderators moderate your board. If they can't ban people then they might as well be regular members. What is the point of having moderators if they can't keep the worse people off your forum?
Moderators are just that, people that moderates forums/threads - keeping things civil. Super mods keep watch on the forums while the admin is away. Its more of delegating tasks of an admin to someone that is a worthy mod already, who you can trust to ban, delete, move, etc... That's the point of Super Mods. I will NEVER allow a member to be admin on first day unless he's proven himself in another community.

The whole Super Moderator thing was dumb to begin with. Moderators moderate your board. If they can't ban people then they might as well be regular members. What is the point of having moderators if they can't keep the worst people off your forum?

For me, it's the Admins decision to ban. Moderators can steer members in the right direction if they get off course, if that doesn't work it's time for an Admin to step in.

That's how I do it and doesn't mean that is how you have to do it... not sure how to make that any clearer.

I'm not saying your comment is useless, nor am I saying that your opinion sucks. I have been through power trips myself over the course of my 8 years administrating many websites, some of them are 500,000+ posts sites.

Don't take my responses in a negative way, just stating my thoughts on the subject.

Moderators can't do their job if they can't prevent someone from constantly repeating the same mistakes over and over. At the very least, we should be able to grant moderators the ability to ban members.

For me, it's the Admins decision to ban. Moderators can steer members in the right direction if they get off course, if that doesn't work it's time for an Admin to step in.

That's how I do it and doesn't mean that is how you have to do it... not sure how to make that any clearer.

I don't make someone a moderator unless I trust their judgement. That includes when to ban someone. Like I said, it should still be an option to gran this ability or you cripple the ability of your team.

I don't make someone a moderator unless I trust their judgement. That includes when to ban someone. Like I said, it should still be an option to gran this ability or you cripple the ability of your team.

Great, but I see you haven't "like"d this thread/suggestion yet.

I fully support Tims viewpoints (and everyone elses).

Tim, based on what you are saying, is it possible you have a reasonably large forum where some high level staff (admins) are usually available?

Top Bottom