Fixed All video thumbs in one directory

KaiKimera

Hi! I have a forum with very big number (100000+) of media items in gallery (embedded videos). But there is one big problem - all thumbnails saved by XFMG in one folder for each media bb-code (data/xengallery/*******, for example). Could you save them in separate subfolders, depending on the length of a file name as default XenForo avatars/attached files, because saving it all in one directory - very big problem if i have many media items?

Is this causing an issue right now?

What is the highest number of files in a single directory at the moment?

As i know, at ext3 file system there are potential problem if more then 300k files saved in single directory (many Google search results about this). Also there are problem with rsync and other software for data transfer and mirroring (performance degradation while scanning big directory). If there is no problem, why XenForo avatars saved in many subdirectories?

I didn't say it wasn't a problem.

I just asked if it was causing an immediate problem and I also asked how many files are in a single directory at the moment?

And is it causing a problem right now or are you simply concerned it may become problematic in the future?

What is the underlying file system?

And is it causing a problem right now or are you simply concerned it may become problematic in the future?

What is the underlying file system?
The problem in the future.
Simply concerned it may become problematic in the future. If i have ~10 000 now, what will happen when they become ~500 000?
I can't sync them with another server - rsync is very slow when listing folders with such a large number of files.

There needs to be some pretty fundamental changes to put this right and those changes aren't appropriate for a third point release because it would break backwards compatibility.

Newer file systems should have less of a problem with this potential issue.

This will be marked as a "future fix" until then.

No, probably not.

There may be a number of changes required which are simply too big and too disruptive to do in a second point release.

Top Bottom