1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 All PHP files in installation has been overwritten, should I replace it with new Xenforo PHP files?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by ree7, Jul 19, 2014.

1. ree7

ree7 New Member

Recently my site has been infected with malicious codes. All PHP files have been edited by the hacker. He added a bunch of codes to every single PHP file in my server, including Xenforo installation.
    I have trouble with the backup and now I'm thinking the only possible solution apart from editing all PHP files one by one: replacing all PHP files with new ones I obtain from my fresh Xenforo installation folder.
    Will be it safe and will there be any impacts on the forum's functionality?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Uploading a fresh set of files is fine.

However, unless you have identified how the hacker gained access and made provisions to prevent it happening again, it may be a pointless exercise.

3. ree7

ree7 New Member

Okay thanks. I am upgrading it now and have hired a web security service to take car of future hacks.

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's worth noting that you really should remove all of the old files first (not the data/ and internal_data/ directories). Uploading the new files will overwrite the old ones, but if a new file is uploaded, it wouldn't overwrite that.

Similarly, check to make sure that that nothing has been written into anywhere in the data/ directory specifically. This may be something your host needs to check, but you should really only see *.jpg files and (empty) index.html files.