Not a bug Alert for thread I'm not watching and haven't posted in

So if you're watching a thread and posts get moved out of it, you auto-watch the newly created thread? Fair enough, but shouldn't the watch status of the new thread reflect this (and allow you to unwatch)?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Sure, I get the technicality of what is happening, however it would also be useful to have the "new" thread added to my watch list and the status set to watched.

The way things are at the moment there's no indication whatsoever of how I got to be alerted about this thread. I only know, for example, that the alert is due to you moving a post from a thread I'm watching because you told me so - otherwise I would be completely in the dark as to how I got it at all.

Surely that's an important UI/UE issue that could do with fixing?

Sure, I get the technicality of what is happening, however it would also be useful to have the "new" thread added to my watch list and the status set to watched.

You aren't watching the new thread though, you won't get any new alerts so it shouldn't update. You may not want to watch the new thread. If anything the argument should be for the alerts to get deleted when the post gets moved.

You aren't watching the new thread though, you won't get any new alerts so it shouldn't update. You may not want to watch the new thread. If anything the argument should be for the alerts to get deleted when the post gets moved.

So I won't be alerted to any further posts in the new thread?

Well then the alert should say "Posts from a thread you are watching have been moved to <new thread link/title>" - or something similar; to clarify what the alert is for and avoid any confusion. (y)

Last edited:
So I won't be alerted to any further posts in the new thread?

Well then the alert should say "Posts from a thread you are watching have been moved to <thread link>" - or something similar; to clarify what the alert is for and avoid any confusion. (y)

Unfortunetely that solution isn't really realistic even though it is optimal. What happens is when you're watching a thread and a new post occurs, a new alert is created with content type: "post", action: "insert", content id: "354345345".

When it's moved, the alert remains untouched. Your solution is to edit all existing alerts to an action of "move" which could work, or they could just delete them since they're not longer a part of the thread you care about (are watching).

The alert is very misleading but you won't receive any more for the new thread because you're not watching it. If more posts happen in the other thread and get moved, you'll get alerts for those as well but that's different.

Sure, I just think with XF 1.3's new ability to move posts (which my mods are going to love and probably use on a daily basis) - it would be better for the alert to be more informative, i.e. you're getting this because you watched the original thread it came from. If that's not possible, fair enough - it won't be too hard to educate my userbase. (y)

I think two valid solutions would be this:

In XenForo_DataWriter_DiscussionMessage_Post::_messagePostSave()
Code:
if ($this->isUpdate() && $this->isChanged('thread_id'))
                {
                    $db = $this->_db;
                    $db->update('xf_user_alert', array(
                            'action' => 'move'
                    ),  "content_type = 'post' and content_id = " . $db->quote($this->getExisting('post_id')));

}

Or change line 76 of the same file from this:

Code:
if ($this->isUpdate() && $this->get('message_state') == 'deleted' && $this->getExisting('message_state') == 'visible')

to this:

Code:
if ($this->isUpdate() && (($this->get('message_state') == 'deleted' && $this->getExisting('message_state') == 'visible') || $this->isChanged('thread_id')))

The first solution requires a new template for the alert method. The second one just removes the alerts.

Top Bottom