As designed Alert for something that's been edited out.

Steve Freides

Affected version
I don't know if this is a bug in XF's eyes, but because my users can edit their posts, I sometimes get an alert that I've been tagged in a post, only to find that the post has been edited and I am no longer mentioned. I can confirm that behavior as described because I see the edit history.

Would be nice if a tagging gets removed, so does the alert.

-S-

As it stands, this is expected with mention alerts. We don't do any edit-based actions with them (one of the reasons why editing in a mention won't send alerts).

This isn't exactly "as designed", but it is a known behavior.

As it stands, this is expected with mention alerts.
This has been a tiny problem, but When people go back to a post and specifically add a mention - it really MEANS something to them. The user really cares about sending the message. It is a unexpected, unpleasant event that someone actually cared about and took time to accomplish.

(1) How about a notice that mentions won't be sent after edits, even if there are new mention additions in the edited copy ?

(2) Another idea would be to disable the user mentions dropdown for edited posts. It really is a mixed message to allow dropdown selection for something that wont happen.

1606407047474.webp

(3) Any edited and reposted posts with @mentions (new or old) could just generically warn users that @mentions are only sent with the first original post to avoid spamming.

This has been a tiny problem, but When people go back to a post and specifically add a mention - it really MEANS something to them. The user really cares about sending the message. It is a unexpected, unpleasant event that someone actually cared about and took time to accomplish.
I'm with you here - this would be nice. Editing a post has the same potential to create or remove "content" as creating a post does.

-S-

Top Bottom