Lack of interest Alert for all actions by people you follow

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Alpha1

Currently the follow function does not follow the activity of the members you follow. Except for the newsfeed, but not many seem to be using the newsfeed anyway. To truly follow someone, you need to be kept up to date on the persons activity.

This means all posts, comments, profile changes, trophies received, etc. should trigger an on-site alert.

I was actually amazed to find out that xenforo does not give on-site alerts for the activity of followers. That is what I expected any follow function to do.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yes, indeed. Internet users are simply accustomed to notifications about what the people they follow are doing. Half the world gets mobile PUSH updates and onsite alerts when a followed person does anything on facebook, QQ, VK or whatever social network is popular in the persons area. This is expected behavior. Without it, it seems better to just call the function 'friends' or 'contacts'.

Yes, indeed. Internet users are simply accustomed to notifications about what the people they follow are doing. Half the world gets mobile PUSH updates and onsite alerts when a followed person does anything on facebook, QQ, VK or whatever social network is popular in the persons area. This is expected behavior. Without it, it seems better to just call the function 'friends' or 'contacts'.

Facebook doesn't give you alerts of what your friends do, unless it's something related to you.

You can subscribe to them and get an alert for every status or picture they post.

Interesting. I did not know that.

I just go by my news feed, which automatically updates (I guess that's what people mean by push updates). However, unlike XenForo, it's right there and the default landing page, so it makes more sense.

Push updates are notifications sent to your phone/tablet.

Ah. Then I'm familiar with them. I had anything relating to me, like a new IM, sent to my phone so if I wasn't home, I'd be able to see it.

I had to disable phone alerts, though, because I have a pre-paid cell phone, and the alerts use minutes. I haven't had any luck lately because I've either gone to a zero balance or really low time, but once I really build up my minutes like on my old cell phone (which had over $100 of minutes, with calls only being 10 cents a minute like with my current phone), I may re-enable them.

Sorry for the slightly off topic post.

Top Bottom