XF 2.0 Alert and News Feed - How do they work now? Are there settings?

limboclub

Is there any documentation on how Alerts and News Feed now work? I have searched but cannot find anything.

I am seeing lots of stuff appear in News Feed that does not appear in Alerts.

Is this a bug? A setting? I need to get those alerts working properly - they are a big contributor to visitors finding new posts by people they follow etc.

You will only get alerts for threads you have subscribed to. When you follow someone, you will not get an alert that they posted something.

I should be used to the disappointment in the dev. But each new sucky change is a knife in my heart.

Any suggestion for add-ons to fix this?

But each new sucky change is a knife in my heart.
Which 'sucky change' would that be?

Alert functionality has not changed between XF1 and XF2, except to add a new alert for reactions to a conversation post., which is an additional feature.

Neither has the news feed functionality.

Either check out the resources for 2.0 addons that may work or request a developer create one. But I feel if you really want an alert for everything then you aren't using the software correctly. Clicking new posts will give you all the new unread posts since your last login which would show posts from the people you are following.

Which 'sucky change' would that be?

Alert functionality has not changed between XF1 and XF2, except to add a new alert for reactions to a conversation post., which is an additional feature.

Neither has the news feed functionality.
In this particular case the sucky change is not yours. Free pass on that one!

I've found it was an add-on that made the site work better: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/the-following-alerts.2126/

We'll have to make our own add-on if it's not v2 ready. Though, adding this as core functionality would have been a given I'd have thought. Alerts now drive forums given mobile site UI issues so the more options for admins to include or exclude different types of actions is a vital function.

Top Bottom