After over 13 years with vB, I'm debating on switching.

Ski-whiz

First off, I'd like to say I'm glad the lawsuit is over, and development has continued!

I've tried IP, phpBB, and vbulletin.

I started using vbulletin 2 back in 2000. So I've modified my site through the years, and have been running the same database (mods and all) since 2007. In 2007 I had to start fresh because I deleted the database. :D

So I've run my current database since 2007. Originally it was vB 3. So I've upgraded the same db up til now. Well, with my recent vbulletin 5 upgrade, I'm READY TO SWITCH! I can't get it to run right, and it's not easy like the good ole vb2 days. :D

My question is this, with ads and such, is it possible to installed adsense ads throughout the site? Can I put conditions on them. Lets say I have a usergroup that donates money, and in return I remove ads.

I'm also used to putting ad's in posts for unregistered members viewing. I also put ads after the top post.

I didn't see much info on how well adsense can be used inside xenforo. Do I need to install addons to do this?

Great job, and I'm almost sold. It's not easy after installing vB5, because I have to start a fresh site. :(

As I mess with the demo here, it feels like vbulletin used to be. Not trying to be funny, just saying it's powerful, yet easy.

Whether I switch my vB5 site or not, I'm going to get a license here and start a new site I've been planning.

The speed is pretty nice too! Had IB given their members better support to fix THEIR issues, I wouldn't be here. So you are 100%. IB is just missing the mark.

I think I'm sold. :D

Someone (I don't recall who) wrote a VB4 importer. Before scrapping the whole existing DB, see what the differences are between VB4 and VB5 and whether or not that importer will work.

Or.... since it looks like you just upgraded, maybe you have a vb4 backup that you could roll back onto. Stay with vb4 until you move to XF.

As I mess with the demo here, it feels like vbulletin used to be. Not trying to be funny, just saying it's powerful, yet easy.

Whether I switch my vB5 site or not, I'm going to get a license here and start a new site I've been planning.

The speed is pretty nice too! Had IB given their members better support to fix THEIR issues, I wouldn't be here. So you are 100%. IB is just missing the mark.

I think I'm sold. :D

You certainly won't regret moving to xenforo. And whether you migrate your <insert software I won't name> and end up starting a frsh site I reakon it won't be long before you migrate your other site over also.

Eitherway, welcome to xenforo. :)

Someone (I don't recall who) wrote a VB4 importer. Before scrapping the whole existing DB, see what the differences are between VB4 and VB5 and whether or not that importer will work.

Or.... since it looks like you just upgraded, maybe you have a vb4 backup that you could roll back onto. Stay with vb4 until you move to XF.

vBulletin 4 importer is included in 1.2

You should come to Xenforo. It's cheaper than VB5, easy to use, etc. etc. Just takes time to get used the how they make themes (which is what I'm learning right now actually xD). And the forum users are nice. :)

I've been using software going back to Ultimate Bulletin Board (UBB) in the 1990's. Spent most of the last decade with vBulletin and only recently installed Xenforo for a new site I'm working on. Make the switch and don't look back.

I took the plunge on Monday. I can say everything everyone has said is true!

I couldn't be happier and after losing 6 years worth of posts from my vB5 upgrade (yes vB5 basically screwed up my database and left me with MANY random weird issues), my members a loving the new software and speed.

honestly the speed is insane over vB. Unless vB changes vB5 quickly, this place will be swinging with converts. This software is easy to navigate too. Well thought out and user friendly (something vB got away from).

Thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on a long relationship with Xenforo, especially since it's not running my biggest/best site. :D

Top Bottom