Not planned [Aesthetics] - Mailbox icon could be proportionally resized...

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It is the same size as the others, and only appears to be smaller, because the symbol itself simply doesn't translate to a full-height symbol. Changing the size will also change the line width, unless specifically counteracted by additional css. It's a lot of bloat for something that simply will never be "right" in my opinion.

Making the mailbox icon, a pixel bigger and/or alerts, a pixel smaller would do the trick without major tinkering with the css, imho. With bookmarks icon gone, it already looks fine... :)

It'll require a css rule solely for that button, that only stays valid for as long as the default size remains roughly the same. Also you might gain similar height, but at the same time lose similar width. It's merely a trade-off, which also costs you a completely unnecessary css rule, that'll cause more problems than it actually solves. If someone truly feels like he needs it, he can still do it himself I'm sure.

Yeah I don't think you're correct @Neutral Singh. Icons, like characters, follow a concept of 'weight' (or I prefer the term 'mass' as to not conflict with weight meaning bold or heavy etc) which has nothing to do with the height and width. By using that same logic, the bookmark icon would need to increase to the same width as the inbox icon which would put us into an infinite loop since that will also increase the height of the bookmark icon.

Maybe better to think about it this way. If you made the other icons the same size as the inbox icon, see how weird that would look? It would shrink the bookmark/alert icons to a very small size.

I believe icons are showing correctly as they should currently.

I did mean to comment on this sooner (I should be using bookmarks, clearly 😝)

As has been pointed out above, these icons are their natural size as the designer intended them to be shown. They are proportionate within the grid that they are laid out on and in context with other similar icons.

To make that clearer, the icons for envelope and envelope-open demonstrate it quite nicely.

If the envelope icon filled the grid vertically (and therefore was wider), it would make that icon look disproportionately larger when compared to the envelope-open icon.

That example doesn't exactly apply here as it's specific to those two versions, but hopefully it gives some insight at least as to why the icons are designed that way.

Top Bottom