Advertising Options

Trombones13

I haven't dealt with advertising before, since my old site had them already installed without any configuration from me. Anyway, I'd like to know your opinions--what's the "best" choice for advertising when it comes to a. being profitable, and b. being (somewhat) unobtrusive to members? The other forum I frequent has used a few different solutions, but I know some of them have had inappropriate results (the subject is Pokémon farming and we'd get things that were faaaar from being Pokémon-related!).

Thanks as always for your input. :D

ETA: It'd also be nice to allow an option (maybe in a separate block if not possible with a particular advertiser) for members to advertise on the site as well (for a small donation). :)

Personally, I have people that want to advertise on my site, and I serve up their custom ads from my own server. No external ads are displayed. Though I fully realize that google type ads are far more popular.

Personally, I have people that want to advertise on my site, and I serve up their custom ads from my own server. No external ads are displayed. Though I fully realize that google type ads are far more popular.
Do you do it for free, or is it a donation-based option? :)

It really depends on the site.
I'm doing OK with adsense and just recently added vibrantmedia and viglink.
I also have site supporters.
I don't hide ads from anyone.
My members realize that it cost money to run a website and the ads don't bother them.
They tell me they don't even notice them. My guess is visitors do the clicking.

I've stayed away from paid advertisers because too many sites tend to protect those interests.
I've even returned money from one person who was advertising since I felt he would want something in exchange.
Like deleting negative posts regarding his company.

Do you do it for free, or is it a donation-based option? :)
No, it certainly is not free. They pay in advance for a certain time frame, somehow we come up with a banner if they do not have one suitable, then the ad is put up.

That type of advertising method is probably most suitable for a niche market like we are in.

For instance if you have a forum that specializes in a geographical area, then local businesses in that area may want to be advertising on your forum. They are used to paying a lot for newspaper/radio/tv, so they might try out forum advertising for a while.

I have what I consider the best of both worlds - clients who pay me for a year (typically) for banners in a forum or elsewhere - often a rotation (1/6 of all banners, etc.) - but then I also use adsense for "excess inventory".

In general, you can get more $$ for direct sold ads - but that would be for high end targeted customers......and it is a lot of work. This is where adsense shines - let's you admin your forum and keep your content fresh and have someone else take care of the ad selling.

Thanks for your input, everyone. :D I think I may start with offering advertising based on donations (and, if there aren't any offers, I can always advertise the other site I administrate and the sites of those who are providing free voiceover talent on another site) and see after a bit if I want to move to/add something like AdSense.

Kurt, make sure you put together a nice set of terms per your advertising. This will help to protect against any undue influence that may be placed on you regarding your members' posts.

Kurt, make sure you put together a nice set of terms per your advertising. This will help to protect against any undue influence that may be placed on you regarding your members' posts.
Definitely; thanks for the tip. :) I read about that from another member in the AdSense thread the other day and will try to cover all of the bases to make sure there aren't any issues there.

I've stayed away from paid advertisers because too many sites tend to protect those interests.
I've even returned money from one person who was advertising since I felt he would want something in exchange.
Like deleting negative posts regarding his company.
That is definitely the major downside of having direct advertisers, the decision needs to be made to
  1. censor, or at least steer threads - other wise some advertisers will be unhappy. or...
  2. to let things go, and loose some advertisers
#2 is better for long term health of a forum.

That is definitely the major downside of having direct advertisers, the decision needs to be made to
  1. censor, or at least steer threads - other wise some advertisers will be unhappy. or...
  2. to let things go, and loose some advertisers
#2 is better for long term health of a forum.

I also made it very clear - before I took any ads - that the site content is separate from the ads.

I'm sure I have lost some clients, but none that I know of. The same advertisers end up putting money in my pocket through adsense!

For instance if you have a forum that specializes in a geographical area, then local businesses in that area may want to be advertising on your forum. They are used to paying a lot for newspaper/radio/tv, so they might try out forum advertising for a while.

As a local what's on site this is the model I am developing, commercial leisure-based sections are going to be added in the CMS section, such as eating-out, which I started on last year but put 'on hold' because I wasn't happy using vB4. But it'll be full steam ahead from March this year - I've already got a small, but growing list, of interested restaurants, hotels & pubs.

They will pay an annual fee for a page, which can include text, photos, youtube clips, google map and streetview, contact details, links to their website if they have one or I'll upload PDFs of their menus on my site. There are various other sections to follow.

It'll become a full-time job, as I have about 25 years experience in local newspaper, magazine & radio advertising, so no fear of cold-calling and building long-relationships with clients over a period.

Top Bottom